Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,563   Posts: 1,573,352   Online: 1039

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: 4x5 devoloping

K38

Shooter
    Medium Format

4x5 Developing

Hi Folks, Dwight Here,

I would like to use my 4x5 more, I used to enjoy the polaroid back and I really miss the process. (are there any Fuji films that work in the old polaroid sheet back?) I need a system to develop 4x5 film and maybe have it scanned as I don't have a real darkroom anymore. One of the stumbling points is that I don't have access to a bunch of old 4x5 boxes to send the film off in. Are there commercially available 4x5 shipping boxes? Or a place that sells used ones? Does anyone have a favorite lab that does a good job and maybe does good scans for less than a fortune. I can't even buy a roll of 35mm Tri-X for a 150 mile radius from where I live! Times have changed, but a Leica, Hasselblad, or Sinar still gives me a warm feeling. I don't have a 4x5 enlarger or a viable place to use it so I am open to any combination of steps to get a useable print. I forgot who said " I don't care if the print is on a bathmat as long it is a good print!)

Peace, Love, and Tri-X!

Dwight
    Last edited by K38; 12-06-2013 at 02:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I guess we'll start with instant film backs. Fuji stopped making FP-3000B45 4x5 instant pack film a while back. They still sell fp-100C (color) and fp-3000b (B&W) in the 3x4 size but you need a special holder for that on a 4x5 and they just announced recently the discontinuation of the fp-3000b. If I was a betting man, I'd say fp-100c will not last another three years as a Fuji product so I don't see that as a viable option. Polaroid is, of course, no longer making type 55 film, though a new project called "New 55" has been working on creating a new, original instant film for 4x5 that will have similar characteristics to type 55.

Do you have any experience with your own home film developing ? Are you looking to shoot B&W primarily or also C41 or E6 slide films ?
    Last edited by Gregg Obst; 12-06-2013 at 12:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

K38

Shooter
    Medium Format
    B&W 99% of the time. Color is great, but I am more likely to use the digital camera for that

D.

Sorry, Yes I have developed lots of 120 and 35mm B&W and printed in a real darkroom lots. My teacher even knew Ansel Adams :-) I have developed sheet film in trays, but it seems very slow and very easy to scratch things up.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A good alternative to tray development you may want to look into is using the "Taco Method" as visually explained here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/digi-fi...7627864733730/

I use this all the time and have experienced no scratching issues on the film. The key is you have to buy hair bands with no clasp, hard plastic or metal on them that could scratch the film. That will allow you to develop up to four sheets of film at a time in a single Patterson Universal Tank. I use about 700ml of Xtol (one shot developer) to fill the tank. Works great with stand development with Rodinal at 1:100 as well. There are all sorts of options for home developing these days but that's the one I use.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Get yourself a Paterson Orbital Processor like this...

Modify it like this...

http://freepdfhosting.com/f640343f29.pdf

Load it in your same dark tent or big changing bag that you use to load your film holders.

Develop as you see fit...

RR

K38

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Dear God, I cannot spell!!!

K38

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Guys,

These are really helpful!

DLB

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Another option is a Jobo Expert drum (3010) on either a simple roller base, or better yet a Jobo with lift. Some people have made alternatives with funnels and tubing to be able to fill while rotating by hand on the roller base. I think Jobo gives the most even results based on all the methods I've tried. I think it's impossible for me to not scratch sheet film when developing in trays. I seem to get mottling with the CombiPlan.

I used a Jobo with lift in the kitchen for a few years before I setup the permanent darkroom. They are light weight when there's no water in them, but you do need a bit of storage space since they aren't exactly small.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Dwight, can't be of much help developing your 4X5 film since I got rid of my tanks, but do have a 4X5 enlarger and can happily print for you. I typically use Ilford paper, either RC of Fiber and of course can tone any prints you want. I also do 35mm and 120 film as well, and in those sizes, I am prepared to develop the film as well as make the prints. I am also equipped to dry mount the prints as well as matte them upon request. If I can be of any help, you can PM me here, or always email me at lightwisps@yahoo.com.

Good luck whatever route you decide to take.

Don

Shooter
    35mm
    One of the stabling points is that I don't have access to a bunch of old 4x5 boxes to send the film off in. Are there commercially available 4x5 shipping boxes?
    http://www.fotoimpex.de/shopen/archi...00-sheets.html
    oversize, but might meet your need.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin