Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,873   Online: 1035

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    joh

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If I understand you right, then this is your first contact to analog photography. You will have a lot of learning to do compared to your D800.I'm not shure if it did not make more sense to start a little bit smaller. 4x5 is a common size and the film is a lot cheaper. You must learn to develop your film, to meter, you must learn to operate the camera, scheimplug,...you have no histogram or preview and you can see what you have done first in the darkroom...and so on....
    I myself own a D800e, realy a nice camera but 4x5 film blows it away, even if you only want to scan the negatives. My scanner is 18 years old but he gives me good quality scans with 10000x12000 pixel.
    .....you allways can go bigger some day if you want and if you buy wisley you can use a lot of the stuff even for 8x10.
    only my opinion

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by joh View Post
    "... You must learn to develop your film, to meter, you must learn to operate the camera, scheimplug,...you have no histogram or preview and you can see what you have done first in the darkroom...and so on..."
    And don't forget getting used to "seeing" your image upside-down and backward on the ground glass.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Poor mdeguzman! He might be getting put off the idea by all these downside vibes. I hope he just gets his 8x10 and gets out there making photographs. It was a long time ago, but I remember my first foray into large format with a whole plate Kodak Model B. It was very exciting and frankly I am almost jealous of mdeguzman as he has this tremendous pleasure to come.

RR

joh

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    you are right Regular Rod, I will never forget the first 8x10 ektachrome I've seen in the 80's, or the incredible look through a 8x10 screen in this times....
    I don't want to stop him, I think it is a good idea to go to analog and to large format, but 8x10 film is little bit expensive in my mind if you start and test.... and test again...maybee he should consider to buy a 8x10 with an additional 4x5 reducing back for learning and testing

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Regular Rod View Post
    Poor mdeguzman! He might be getting put off the idea by all these downside vibes.
    Who said anything negative? All I see is one post suggesting that it might make sense to jump into 4x5 before larger formats. (Personally I don't think that would make so much difference; sheets are sheets, in most respects.)

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

A D800 with good glass rivals 4x5 easily. Stitch for 8x10.

LF is fun, but a whole different skill set and you need to be a weightlifter to go far with a 8x10 kit.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Moravec View Post

LF is fun, but a whole different skill set and you need to be a weightlifter to go far with a 8x10 kit.
    No a D800 might rival a medium format camera but certainly not a 4x5. Add to that a 4x5 is going to give you camera movements to control the image even more.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    When you make an enlargement from a negative, everything in the print was on the negative. When you make a fake enlargement from a file, just about everything you see is a computer's interpretation so not in the original file. With the right film and lens combination, I can probably get better than 200mp from a 35mm negative.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronald Moravec View Post
    I'm just not seeing how this is an appropriate discussion to start on an Analog focused forum where folks come to discuss, you know, film and stuff.

There's an entire world out there dedicated to all things digital. Don't get me wrong, I'm a software guy who's worked on graphical systems from the inside and know what code is capable of but there's a time and a place.

Back to our regularly scheduled advice! Perhaps if you more deeply discuss your motivation to expand from your digital background into 8x10 film the others here who have centuries of combined experience with these things may suggest more appropriate items for you. That Nikon can make some pretty pictures but there's something lacking, what elemental need do you want to fulfill that your current camera cannot?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Some people just cannot resist throwing in little turds about digital on an analogue site.
    Richard

Why are there no speaker jacks on a stereo camera?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin