Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,493   Posts: 1,542,989   Online: 834

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Large Format
    8x10 is fun, but the glass and film are much more expensive than with 4x5. I would recommend starting out at 4x5 which is a huge improvement over smaller formats.
    One thing to watch for (I was surprised by this when I got my 8x10, although the mathematics is straightforward):
    Although exposure (f-stop and shutter) are the same regardless of format, the depth of field at a given f-stop decreases with increasing format size. I was aghast when I repeated a 4x5 cityscape shot that I liked, using the 8x10, and did not close the lens down farther.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TimFox View Post
    Although exposure (f-stop and shutter) are the same regardless of format, the depth of field at a given f-stop decreases with increasing format size. I was aghast when I repeated a 4x5 cityscape shot that I liked, using the 8x10, and did not close the lens down farther.
    Yup that's why large format lenses have apertures unseen in smaller formats. The use of f45 and f64 is rather common in large format.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Light Guru View Post
    Yup that's why large format lenses have apertures unseen in smaller formats. The use of f45 and f64 is rather common in large format.
    That's my cue to set up a link to: http://www.metmuseum.org/toah/hd/f64/hd_f64.htm Group F/64 who thought this whole small aperture thing was a pretty neat idea. And it may give the original poster ideas to think about

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    One big advantage 8x10 (or larger) has over 4x5 is less of a need or even no need for an enlarger.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    I dont know why this has to devolve into a discussion about the posters motivations or 4x5 vs 8x10 or digital vs. film..

The guy asked a general question about a camera and indicated that it is with their budget. Why not just stay silent if you dont have anything pertinent to say?
    -And if someone wants to buy new, we should be applauding them because they are keeping the manufacturers in business.

Regarding the chamonix.. I cannot comment on the 8x10 but I have handled 4x5's and they seem better built than my Shen-Hao. The focus knobs are larger (on the 4x5 at least).
    The rear focus knob is a really nice feature (otherwise you have to reach around your camera to focus). It looks like the newer 8x10 has a bail back which really helps keep your camera from getting out of alighnment when inserting a film holder.

Well good luck on your purchase! Return back here for advice anytime!
    Darin
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by darinwc View Post
    I dont know why this has to devolve into a discussion about the posters motivations or 4x5 vs 8x10 or digital vs. film..

The guy asked a general question about a camera and indicated that it is with their budget. Why not just stay silent if you dont have anything pertinent to say?
    -And if someone wants to buy new, we should be applauding them because they are keeping the manufacturers in business.

Regarding the chamonix.. I cannot comment on the 8x10 but I have handled 4x5's and they seem better built than my Shen-Hao. The focus knobs are larger (on the 4x5 at least).
    The rear focus knob is a really nice feature (otherwise you have to reach around your camera to focus). It looks like the newer 8x10 has a bail back which really helps keep your camera from getting out of alighnment when inserting a film holder.

Well good luck on your purchase! Return back here for advice anytime!
    Darin

Well said! Back on topic again as we should be...

RR

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin