Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,545,986   Online: 977

Shooter
    Large Format

Super Speed Graphic Filter Question

Simple question, if you will. The fine folks over at LFF don't seem to be coming up with the answer. I'm not terribly familiar with the SSG and Rodenstock 135. From what I gather, the jagged-looking lens hood is actually the shutter-cock. So what about the filters? Do the Series 6 from my current Crown and Optar/Wollensak combo fit on the SSG? Thanks.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The lens boards are interchangeable between the Crown Graphic and the Siper Graphics with one small issue there's additional pressed lugs needed for the Super (Speed) Graphic. I glued some card on my boards.

The filters are specific to the lenses, you need to look up the folter size for the Rodenstock lens my 150mm Sironar N is 49mm.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also check out www.graflex.org
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I own a Crown but If I remember correctly the hood does cock the shutter. Like Ian says it uses a different lens board than the Crown. I don't know what you would do about filters.

I posed the question about buying one of these cameras on Large Format Photography Forum because a friend of mine has one and I was trying to trade him out of it. The forum members recommended buying a Super Graphic or Crown instead because the shutter on the Super Speed Graphic is said to be problematic and expensive to repair. The Super Graphic is the same metal camera but without the high speed shutter.

Just some advice I received if you have not bought the camera yet.
    Last edited by Alan Gales; 12-13-2013 at 02:27 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Scroll down to the discussion of the 1000 shutter. Apparently it has a series VI holder built in:

http://site.jimscamerasseattle.com/vGraphic/

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The Knob Assembly-Winding mated with the retainer-filter to form a single Series 6 filter holder on later models of the shutter the knob assembly winding and retainer filter were merged into a single unit. It also acts as a lens hood.

With the shutter in an uncocked state turn the wind assembly counterclockwise and unscrew it, place a series 6 filter in the recess, reattach by turning clockwise.

On shutters that are in need of cleaning that are continually used, have experienced heavy usage without using a filter, or have been turned hard after reaching the end of cocking travel repeatedly the winding knob will be very hard to unscrew. I have yet to see one that required penetrating oil to loosen but some were close.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin