Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,545   Posts: 1,544,442   Online: 1031

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Shutter sticks after being outside

I was out shooting with my Speed Graphic and 127mm Ektar in a Supermatic shutter the other weekend. After this the shutter has started sticking every now and, either there's a little delay before the blades open, or they don't open at all, or open unevenly. I suspect this is because of cold (it was around -6 when we were outside), but the camera has been siting indoors for over a week now and the problem persists. What should I do?
    "Art is is a picture of some dude I never met smoking under a lamppost at 6400 ISO and in BW."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Cybertrash View Post
    I was out shooting with my Speed Graphic and 127mm Ektar in a Supermatic shutter the other weekend. After this the shutter has started sticking every now and, either there's a little delay before the blades open, or they don't open at all, or open unevenly. I suspect this is because of cold (it was around -6 when we were outside), but the camera has been siting indoors for over a week now and the problem persists. What should I do?
    Time for a CLA - clean, lubricate adjust.

MDR
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    New lubrication. A short time solution is to put the shutter on a radiator for about 15minutes, the dried lubricants will be liquid again and work. It's better to change the lubricants (suitable for cold weather) though as you will have the same problem again if you use it in the cold.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    yep, cold froze up the lubricant and it warmed up but solid. Gentle heating might work but only for a short time.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The old lubricant's thinner components have evaporated or moved where they are not needed, and the thick cold-sensitive ones remain. Time for a professional cleaning.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by MDR View Post
    New lubrication. A short time solution is to put the shutter on a radiator for about 15minutes, the dried lubricants will be liquid again and work. It's better to change the lubricants (suitable for cold weather) though as you will have the same problem again if you use it in the cold.
    No, don't do that. The OP says that "...they don't open at all, or open unevenly..." which indicates there is probably more wrong than thickened lubricant. Possibly the blades are not engaging properly with the actuating ring, or something was damaged by drag caused by the thickened lubricant.

Do it right, do it once, have a reliable shutter... try home made half-baked repairs and have potential junk. This shutter is nearer 50 than 40 years of age at a minimum, possibly it has never been serviced.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The Supermatic came in 3 basic versions, the no flash sync called Supermatic, The flash bulb and electronic flash synced called Flash Supermatic, and the electronic flash synced called Supermatic X. The Flash Supermatic is the most difficult to service and the Supermatic the easiest. On a scale of 1 to 10 of increasing difficulty the Supermatics are a 6.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Supermatic diagram.jpg 
Views:	17 
Size:	154.3 KB 
ID:	78453

The service manual for the Supermatic with 127mm Ektar is (was) readily available on line from several manual retailers such as http://craigcamera.com/ item 90518 under reprinted service manuals.

The blades opening unevenly says that the operating pin holes in the blades or controller are worn and the related blades are sticking. Continuing to use in this condition will result in a non working parts shutter.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	flash supermatic disassembled.jpg 
Views:	23 
Size:	226.1 KB 
ID:	78454
    Service it or have it serviced soon.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Happened to me two years ago, exact same setup and exact same issues.

+1 on the professional CLA. Get'r done.
    Thank you.
    CWalrath
    APUG BLIND PRINT EXCHANGE
    DE Darkroom

"Wubba, wubba, wubba. Bing, bang, bong. Yuck, yuck, yuck and a fiddle-dee-dee." - The Yeti

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the answers, I suppose I'll have it serviced, it's a shame, a CLA around these parts can cost about as much as a new shutter off of that famous auction site sometimes...
    "Art is is a picture of some dude I never met smoking under a lamppost at 6400 ISO and in BW."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for all the answers, I suppose I'll have it serviced, it's a shame, a CLA around these parts can cost about as much as a new shutter off of that famous auction site sometimes...
    Which likely will also need servicing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin