Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,206   Posts: 1,531,828   Online: 893

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    I don't think the OP's confusion was egregious. Reading through this thread, I had some of the same confusion about the source of the glass vs. the source of the cell mountings---it seems that the former is Goerz, the latter B&J, and the shutter mounting is from yet a third source.
    So the serial number comes from B&J, and maybe the cell can be dated on that basis. But the absence of an aperture scale on the shutter suggests that B&J didn't do that part; I think you're right that they would have marked it for aperture if it were their doing.

There's nothing too surprising in any of this---mounting a lens in a shutter, assuming the threads are the same, is something absolutely anybody can do. Now, whoever did that, did they get the spacing right between the front and rear cells? The easiest way to find out is to test the lens.

-NT
    The problem is, we don't know. And there is no way of knowing for certain. As for dating it by B&J's number, good luck - they pulled them out of a hat. Most likely between the late 40s and the early/mid 50s.
    As for egregious confusion, I posted a link in my second post showing how the lens would have been marked were it an echte Dagor. I later posted several links to lenses listed on feepay, showing the various markings of various vintage lenses.
    I also recommended testing the lens, and gave that reason - spacing.
    As for the shutter, Compurs weren't too easy to get for a while after WWII. B&J could well have used a NOS or used prewar shutter. Or someone could have taken the cells from a shutter B&J mounted it in and put it in this one. B&J remounts are best approached with suspicion and a good return policy from the seller - but I know of one, a 270/7.7 (which maximum aperture means the glass dates from the 1890s) that is every bit a Dagor in performance - and I've heard of others. The OP could have a dandy little lens there, only one way to tell.

I've been owning and using Dagors for quite a while, and I've learned everything I can about them. You may want to google my screen name...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I sent my 120mm Dagor to SK Grimes and they engraved the aperture scale. Got it back yesterday. Cost was $50 + $14 shipping. They did a very nice job!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dagor 120mm with scale.jpg 
Views:	18 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	82095

Now to test the lens! We are in the middle of a winter ice storm here in Georgia so it will be a while before I have any results.
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Cambo 23SF, Hasselblad, Mamiya M645, Rolleiflex 2.8C
    Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Leica M4-P M3 IIIf RD Contax IIa Nikon SP
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

http://www.oresteen.com/ROLLEI4X4.htm

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Now to test the lens! We are in the middle of a winter ice storm here in Georgia so it will be a while before I have any results.
    Get out and walk around the neighborhood or around town with a camera. The key here is walk and take a camera. Avoid standing under ice laden tree limbs and high voltage power lines.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterfinger View Post
    Get out and walk around the neighborhood or around town with a camera. The key here is walk and take a camera. Avoid standing under ice laden tree limbs and high voltage power lines.
    She Who Must Be Obeyed would not permit it
    Tony
    Newnan, GA

Cambo 23SF, Hasselblad, Mamiya M645, Rolleiflex 2.8C
    Rollei 4x4 Grey
    Leica M4-P M3 IIIf RD Contax IIa Nikon SP
    Olympus OM-1 OM-2

http://www.oresteen.com/ROLLEI4X4.htm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have exactly the same lens mounted in a Compur shutter but in my case there was an aperture scale. I asked the same question on a LF forum and had it confirmed that it was a B&J remount. However as it cost me less than $200 I did not feel that I had been swindled in any way. As to its performance my own experience is that it covers 5x4 with enough coverage for the modest tilts I use for landscape photography. It does exhibit some focus shift at around f22 but when correctly focussed is sharp. It is not as contrasty as my 125 Fujinon or 90mm Super Angulon but that is not surprising as it is single coated. It is, however very light and compact and also has a sufficiently different "look" for the right subject. I use it with Foma film on bright days as it helps tame that film's inherent high contrast.

Given that these B&J remounts were of variable quality I consider myself lucky that I got a good one, especially at the price I paid for it. I hope your example proves as good.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin