Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,288   Posts: 1,535,359   Online: 765

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post

Own the tools that allow you to work unhindered, and will not leave you feeling like "what should I use". Be able to determine what you NEED(not just what you want) before you even set up the camera. Let your brain determine the FL you'll need.
    Dan, I completely agree. For myself I like to own just a few lenses with enough spacing between the focal lengths that I always know immediately which lens to grab for the subject. For 8x10 I have 3 main lenses: 250mm, 14" (360mm), 19" (480mm). I also own a 121mm that I bought for dirt cheap. I like the focal length for 4x5 but have yet to expose an 8x10 negative with it. It is super wide on 8x10!

Some photographers use only one lens and others own 20 lenses and claim that they always know which one to use. I can't argue with them because looking at their photographs they obviously know what they are doing!

We are all different but your point does ring true.

Alan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Vee View Post
    For those that shoot landscape and portraits, when you consider your lens collection, what focal length did/would you have purchased sooner because you get more versatility and use from it - a wider or longer lens?
    Funny. When I started with 35mm, I wanted a longer lens first. With 4x5, I'd like to get a wider lens.

My first view camera lens was a 210mm, my second was a 120mm. After several years, I decided I needed a normal lens and bought a 150mm. I probably use the 150mm and 210mm the most.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin