Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,001   Posts: 1,524,387   Online: 929

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Camera Lubrication

Happy New Year all! and have a great New year.! I'm in the process of trying to refurbish an old Busch Pressman Model D and was wondering what specific areas should be lubricated. The rail system works but is a little tight, as are the front tilt/shift controls. I've also read to use WD40, but since it stays below freezing most of the winter here, I was thinking of using some of the Molybdenum Disulfide dry lube that I use on my hunting rifles. Also, I've read to wipe the bellows down with Pledge (although my experience with Pledge on military leather shoes was that it eventually starts to crack). Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks in advance
    akfotog

Seneca/National 8x10, Cambo SCX 4x5, Tachihara Wood Field 4x5, Busch Pressman 4x5, Mamiya RB67 Pro SD, Hasselblad 500 C/M, Mamiya M645 1000S, Nikon F5, Nikon F100, Nikon F4S, Nikon FM2 Chrome.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Eschew WD-40 unless you want the rails coated with a thick waxy deposit that will require disassembly to remove. I'd try one of the "dry lubes" for bicycle chains, your dry MoS2 lube might be good also. You don't want anything to attract dust, or anything that will thicken.

If the bellows are leather, use Lexol or Neatsfoot oil. If they're not leather, leave them alone.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Do NOT use WD-40.
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by lxdude View Post
    Do NOT use WD-40.
    Nope. Don't use it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Nope. Don't use it.
    Correct, eschew it.

I. too, have come to like the "dry Teflon lubes" that have been on the market for a while.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    eschew
    Gesundheit!
    I do use a digital device in my photographic pursuits when necessary.
    When someone rags on me for using film, I use a middle digit, upraised.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks for the info, I'll try a bit of my Moly. I have some mink oil for the bellows (which I'll probably replace with new this Spring), hopefully that will work. Thanks again.
    akfotog

Seneca/National 8x10, Cambo SCX 4x5, Tachihara Wood Field 4x5, Busch Pressman 4x5, Mamiya RB67 Pro SD, Hasselblad 500 C/M, Mamiya M645 1000S, Nikon F5, Nikon F100, Nikon F4S, Nikon FM2 Chrome.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Mink oil is for weatherproofing from moisture, it may do more harm than good on bellows. I have used Pledge (yellow can) on bellows both leather and naugahyde with out any adverse affects. Avoid Armorall also.

Apply TriFlow, http://www.triflowlubricants.com/Sup...rior_drip.html , to the focus pinion at the bed bushings and white lithium grease to the bed gears that mesh with the pinion helical gears. A trace amount of oil or grease is all that is needed. The dry lubricant you have will be fine for the standard movements and apply it to the rail edges where they engage with the bed guides.

If the revolving back does not turn smoothly, disassemble the mechanism, apply a trace of white lithium grease or your dry lubricant to the mechanical parts and reassemble.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Linhof suggests petroleum jelly (Vasoline) to lubricate the rails on the Technika series. I've used it and it works. Spread it on very very sparingly. Wipe off any excess. I've used it very lightly on the rails on my Speed Graphics and my one Busch Pressman. If using the camera in a dusty outdoor environment, wipe clean and reapply after use.

For the bellows, I use a vinyl/leather spray conditioner used on car seats. Spray on a cloth, wipe on sparingly, wipe off any excess, and let the bellows dry out a day or so before compressing again. Be careful and support the bellows with your hand underneath.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A single drop of dry teflon lube e.g. commonly used for bike chains, will work superbly, but it must be the dry version, not wet (attracts gunk too readily) or multi-purpose. The carrier evaporates leaving a super-slick lubricant. I use TF2 Plus+ for odd jobs (chiefly tripod leg locks).
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin