Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,949   Posts: 1,557,883   Online: 910

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Wollensak wide angle lenses

The information on the net is sparse about wollensak and its wide angle lenses of past. I'm particularly interested in one that I had just purchased on keh which looked interesting. It is a wollensak 108mm 4 1/4" wide angle in a rapax shutter. I have been looking for a wide angle lens for my new 4x5 field setup in the 90mm range, this slightly longer lens popped up supposedly with enough coverage for 5x7 and looks tiny and light so I bought it. My only other lens is a 135mm symmar convertible that has linhof rebranding.

Does anyone have experience with the wolly lens? Are the focal lengths a bit to close on my lenses? And is a 108mm really wide enough?

Keh hasn't shipped it yet, so I have yet to try and test it. Hopefully it can fold up into my wista sp too like my 135 symmar.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/...llensak_5.html

Whether 108 mm is too close to 90 mm if for you to decide, not for us to tell you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    don't have the 41/2" but due have the 159mm wolly wide angle which works great but does not the coating so have to be careful about flair. I think they are nice lens and a good deal for the money.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks Dan I did see that little ad pamphlet on camera eccentric. I just wish there was a bit more information such as lens design and layout, which surfaces coated or not, or even some images taken with it, etc.

mike, of all the wollensak lenses that 159mm seems to be the most popular and seems to have a great reputation. I might look into a compendium hood or maybe try and find a correct slip on hood or adapter.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Its probably an f9.5, like the 159mm. It can be hard to focus a wide lens that dim, I find. if it's anything like the 159, it'll be a fairly sharp lens stopped down. I find I don't use very wide lenses all that often on LF - I almost never use a 75 and rarely reach for the 90. One of my favorites is a 125mm Dagor. 135 to 108, as was said, only you can tell. I don't think I have anything between 90 and 125 myself and haven't noticed that it's missing. At least it's a small light lens so you won't be leaving it at home to travel light.

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Check out the lens diagrams in this brochure:

http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/...lensak_14.html

The 108mm focal length is only listed for the f6.8 wide angle, which is an entirely different design from the f9.5.

The f9.5 is a very old design, starting life as the Wide Angle Royal Anastigmat around 1902. The f6.8 looks like a more modern, but simpler design.
    Happiness is a load of bulk chemicals, a handful of recipes, a brick of film and a box of paper. - desertrat

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have one of the 108s and it is a 12.5 like my 159. No problem focusing with a little care. It does cover 5x7. The later 9.5s don't have quite as much coverage but still cover the designated sizes, just. Stop down to at least f/22 and everything will be fine. Check this out for the difference in coverage of the Series III 9.5s vs the Series IIIa 12.5s.: http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/...lensak_15.html. The later 6.8 is a different animal like an Angulon.
    Last edited by outwest; 02-01-2014 at 10:52 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The lens that I ordered is a BGN 6.8 version according to keh, there was no picture only labeled "108 f6.8 raptar wide angle, rapax bulb, time (4x5) (35 mount)"

Looking at Desertrat's link, the lens seems to be a 4 element 2 group double gauss type?

Outwest, should I expect performance like an Angulon? There are tons of reviews out there on that lens.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wollensak_14_08.jpg   wollensak_14_09.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I have both the 90 and 65 versions of that lens. They're good performers, at least stopped down to f22 (might be fine at f11 but I never seem to shoot faster than f22). The 90 is limited in its coverage of 4x5, and its similar to a 90/6.8 angulon in performance. You should get good coverage of 4x5 with the longer lens.
    Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dan, I'm all for solidarity among Dans but I have to disagree with you about at least one Wolly 65/6.8, mine. I never got a satisfactorily sharp shot from it.

Thinking of solidarity among Dans, I see that Danny Ortega has forced through a change in Nicaragua's constitution that will let him run for a third term. I don't especially love the guy, he seems to have dictatorial tendencies, but Presidente Daniel has a nice sound to it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin