Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,199   Posts: 1,531,472   Online: 880

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Gents, the Graflok back was introduced in 1949 with the Century Graphic, which has an integral Graflok. Century Graphic introduction date from the Bible, 10th edition. The non-book of serial numbers reports that the first block of Century Graphic serial numbers was assigned 8/1/1949. The Ektalite fresnel was also introduced with the Century Graphic, but in the beginning it was an option.

Graflok backs to be retrofitted on older Graphics were introduced then too. I've seen a Miniature Speed Graphic with a Graflok back that had a flash terminal at the upper left hand corner (as viewed from behind the camera), the correct place for a Mini.

Ian Grant wrote:
    There's a lot of disinformation about Graflex cameras.
    Misinformation, not disinformation as disinformation is usually understood, and he put some out himself.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Whoa! Didn't mean to spark controversy. Mine is obviously a later model, with Graflock. I guess I'm not only sheltered but lucky!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    Whoa! Didn't mean to spark controversy. Mine is obviously a later model, with Graflock. I guess I'm not only sheltered but lucky!
    I think you were lucky There;s not really any controversy, What muddies the waters is even in the 1960's the Pacemaker's Speed and Crown were being sold with side mounted and top mounted rangefinders, also spring backs.

In the case of the Top mounted rangefinder Graflex were late in following MPP who had shown a prototype Press version of their Micro Technical in 1949 with a top mounted rangefinder which was never produced, hover the following year 1950 they introduced the MPP MicroPress, essentially a Speed Graphic in a casing made by Celestion (speakers) with a wide base integral top rangefinder.

Dan's right I should have said mis not dis-information. It doesn't help when articles on various websites and printed sources state that the Top rangefinder replaced the side mounted rangefinder and that the Ektalite versions of the backs replace the plain screen backs, same with Graflok and Spring backs.

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 02-21-2014 at 11:19 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ian, the real problem with most statements about Graphics is that there were no rules in Rochester and no one followed them.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    Gents, the Graflok back was introduced in 1949 with the Century Graphic, which has an integral Graflok. Century Graphic introduction date from the Bible, 10th edition. The non-book of serial numbers reports that the first block of Century Graphic serial numbers was assigned 8/1/1949. The Ektalite fresnel was also introduced with the Century Graphic, but in the beginning it was an option.

Graflok backs to be retrofitted on older Graphics were introduced then too. I've seen a Miniature Speed Graphic with a Graflok back that had a flash terminal at the upper left hand corner (as viewed from behind the camera), the correct place for a Mini.
    I have a Miniature Speed Graphic with a Graflok back as Dan describes with the flash sync in the correct place for a miniature Speed. It's Ektar lens dates it to 1946 so presumably it's Graflok back was retrofitted. I also have a 4x5 Anniversary Speed Graphic which is fitted with a Graflok back.

I am surprised that their are apparently so many spring backed Pacemakers knocking about. Or maybe it is not so surprising as well as for the reasons that Ian has given perhaps many were also bought secondhand as a cheap source for a Graflok back to retrofit to an earlier model. Which are IMHO much nicer to work with than the Pacemaker models. The Pacemakers were then sold on with their retrofitted spring backs possibly for little less than they were purchased for in the first place.

Back on topic. I have seen spring extension kits for Graflex cameras with spring backs to allow the spring backs to be pulled out further to allow roll film holders to be fitted. I nearly bought one once. Proper Graflex kit it was too. Until I stopped myself. Persuaded myself I did not really need it. Already got enough **** and to leave it for someone who really needed it. So if the Grafmatic does not fit under the spring back . It might be worth looking for one of those.

Edit

According to Graflex org a Grafmatic will fit under a Graflex Spring back

Link to info on spring extensions also Graflex org. http://www.graflex.org/speed-graphic...onversion.html
    Last edited by Roger Hesketh; 02-28-2014 at 08:38 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Roger, my real interest is 2x3 Graphics, not the larger sizes. I once collected serial number data from the non-book for 2x3ers. I don't know whether 2x3ers' production history matches that of larger sizes of Graphics and the non-book lumps production from 2/47 - 2/50 so I can't report exactly how many 2x3 Pacemakers were made between 2/47 and 8/49. My best guess is that around half of the 2x3 Pacemaker Graphics (Speed and Crown) were made between 2/47 and 8/49. None shipped with a Graflok back, some may have been retrofitted with a Graflok.

A comment on the non-book. It shows two series of serial numbers for Pacemaker Graphics. Graflex started making Pacemakers under their old s/n scheme, in which serial numbers were assigned sequentially and a serial number carried no information about the product to which it was assigned. Some time in late 1947 Graflex switched to a new s/n scheme, set aside huge blocks of numbers by product. Sales weren't as expected and few of the serial numbers that had been set aside were ever used. The book reports s/n ranges and the dates they were released to production, but gives no detail about when serial numbers released between the start of the new numbering scheme and 2/50.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Dan, I suspect that the peak production of all Pacemaker Graphic cameras was around that 1947-1950 period. Production would have declined as high quality German cameras became more readily available, most likely affection the small models earlier.

I know from articles by HS Newcombe (an author & photographic dealer) that there was a serious shortage of new camers in the UK after WWI until the early 1950's.

There must have been similar shortages in the US because some camera manufacturers (Ansco for instance) had to switch to making optical instruments for the US military. Graflex on the other hand had been supplying cameras to the military so in a better position to fill demand.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Dan , Ian I really am surprised. I genuinely believed that the majority if not most Pacemakers had Grafloks fitted. I suppose it is because I have generally bought them with Grafloks fitted. I assumed that was the norm. Dan I also have a soft spot for the little ones too.

I have two Miniature Speed Graphics one with and one without a Graflok. A Graflok backed Pacemaker 2x3 Speed Graphic and a Century Graphic. I have so many because that was how I gained my roll film holders. I bought outfits including roll film holders often for less than the roll film holders could be bought for on their own. Crazy I know but true. I had intended to sell them on but once they had warmed themselves in front of my fire. Well it would have been cruel and unnecessarily harsh to toss them back out to fend for themselves in a cruel cold world.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Roger, yours is a familiar story.

My first Graphic a 2x3 Pacemaker Speed made in '47 had a spring (Graphic) back when I bought it. It now has a Pacemaker Graflok back that I took from a Miniature Speed Graphic; backs are fully interchangeable between Mini Speed and Pacemakers. Then I got a Century made in '52 with, of course, an integral Graflok to be able to use a 65/6.8 Raptar. And then two 2x3 Crowns, one made in '53, the other made later (the non-book doesn't contain its s/n), both with Grafloks. I bought one for its lens, the other as a parts camera and kept it as too good for that. There's no way to tell whether their Graflok backs were sold with the cameras or were retrofits.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can pass a Miniature Speed Graphic my way Roger, I could use one I have 6x7 Graflex roll film holders.

Ian

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin