Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,442   Online: 790

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The problem with roll film holders is I never seem to have enough. When I want to use one it always seems to be filled with half used film stock I do not want to use. Yesterday I wanted to shoot 2x3 black and white and found those holders already filled with half used Velvia. I ended up shooting 6x7 instead but very nearly found myself reaching for 2x3 holders. Typing this now though I have had a Eureka moment. Swap the insert in the changing bag to one from a Graflex roll film holder from a larger format camera I am not currently using.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Aren't Eureka moments great? I have another suggestion, a simple one. Since roll film adapters shoot, at most, 12 shots, just finish off the roll! If you're half-way done with a roll and storing it, it's not getting any better sitting in your bag. I always used to worry about saving that last foot of film on the roll and then I realized that the film was often (for me, not you) so poorly stored in my bag that it was deteriorating. I usually can find a still life to shoot a few images to finish a roll, no matter what the subject of the first half was- or I use it to test a new lens. I know everybody has their own work flow, and the keeping and value of film is a personal thing, but I feel I became a lot more flexible when I stopped leaving half-finished 120 rolls in my camera bags. I can always pop in a new roll and start a project with the right film.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you for your suggestion. As I believe many of you Americans say 'Your mileage may vary'.
    I am also grateful to you Sir I have learned an important lesson I had forgotten for a minute that I was not just talking to Ian.

Unfortunately in the last few years colour roll film use has become for me anyway a special treat. It must be different over your way but here in the UK it has become very expensive. As far as colour work is concerned though I have recently changed my workflow and am having a lot of fun doing so. I have started shooting 35mm print film again. It has never been cheaper a discount store in the UK Poundland sells Agfa branded but made in Japan print film, I suspect it is Reala for £1 a roll. Tesco's will develop a 35mm film for just 99p. Just dev not print at that price. I have an old Minolta film scanner which can scan a 35mm neg to a higher resolution than any Digital Camera I could afford to buy. Early days yet but I am having a lot of fun using my old film cameras and lenses again.
    Last edited by Roger Hesketh; 03-04-2014 at 12:22 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What is the "non-book of serial numbers" mentioned in post #11?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Byclops View Post
    What is the "non-book of serial numbers" mentioned in post #11?
    Someone at Graflex Inc. compiled a list of serial numbers assigned to Graflex products by date the numbers were assigned. They fill a small ledger book. The late Theron "Tim" Holden, a former Graflex employee who may also have compiled the list, used it to answer questions posted on www.graflex.org about the date on which a Graflex camera was made. His answers were compiled by someone -- I don't know who -- and were posted as the Shutterfinger list, which can be found at http://graflex.coffsbiz.com/serials.html You can read about Mr. Holden at http://ghq.graflex.org/

Someone -- I have no idea who -- got access to the ledger, scanned it, posted it on a web site, and then took it down. That's the non-book. The non-book and the Shutterfinger list don't always agree.

The non-book has its weaknesses. It is incomplete. The serial numbers it records start in 1915, but Folmer & Schwing started making cameras in 1915. The last s/n recorded dates from 1965, but Graflex Inc. closed in 1972. There's a comment "See new book" on a page that ends in '65, but there's no book.

It is hard to use. It shows some blocks of numbers as having been assigned more than once. The list has to be read very carefully.

It is misleading. Serial numbers were assigned in blocks but cameras weren't made as soon as the numbers were assigned. There's no guarantee that all serial numbers in a block were ever used and there's no indication at all when they were actually used.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    but Folmer & Schwing started making cameras in 1915
    According to http://www.graflex.org/articles/kingslake/ they started making cameras in 1896.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterfinger View Post
    According to http://www.graflex.org/articles/kingslake/ they started making cameras in 1896.
    Thanks, Charles. Stupid typo!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thank you, Mr. Fromm, for your most comprehensive response.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin