Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,899   Posts: 1,584,382   Online: 785

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    127 Format

Devere Rail Clamp?

I finally took the plunge and went 54! I'm not giving up the 127, but I just had to try the BIG thing.

I picked up a v. cheap Devere mono-rail (big and heavy, but that's the whole point!) and I'm almost ready to go. It all seems to be in great shape, but I've got one problem:

The rail is hexagonal, but the clamp seems to be for a square rail. I noticed some Devere's have square rails. Is there a trick, or have I got the wrong bit?

If the latter, does anyone want to trade me a hex clamp for a square clamp?

thanks

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Hmmm, I've heard of John Deere but not Devere...didn't the monorail Graphic View have a hexagonal rail? I wonder if a clamp from one of those would suit your camera.
    Last edited by GaussianNoise; 02-12-2005 at 05:58 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typos

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Hmmm, I've heard of John Deere but not Devere...

The confusion is understandable, the two companies followed the same design philosophy!
    The De Vere with the octagonal rail was officially called the De Vere Universal camera (I have one). The subsequent iteration had the square rail and was called the De Vere Devon. Finding a rail clamp on its own will be a long shot, I think, but I have seen entire cameras with wrecked bellows go on e-bay for £50.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by 127
    I finally took the plunge and went 54!
    Ian, welcome to the world of 4x5!! I think you will find it quite fulfilling; after awhile you may find yourself suffering withdrawal symptoms when you can't shoot the big stuff.

Sadly, I ran out of 4x5 Velvia this week and had to purchase 35mm .
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by David H. Bebbington
    Hmmm, I've heard of John Deere but not Devere...

The confusion is understandable, the two companies followed the same design philosophy!
    The De Vere with the octagonal rail was officially called the De Vere Universal camera (I have one). The subsequent iteration had the square rail and was called the De Vere Devon. Finding a rail clamp on its own will be a long shot, I think, but I have seen entire cameras with wrecked bellows go on e-bay for £50.
    My DeVere Devon, whole plate, half plate & 5x4 has a Hexagonal rail.

Whats the clamp you're after the one to attach to a tripod ?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    For octagonal in my previous posting, read "hexagonal". There are so many sides, it's easy to lose count!

Shooter
    127 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant
    Whats the clamp you're after the one to attach to a tripod ?
    That's the one. Everything else is all present and correct.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's a complete camera on ebay at £25, there was on in bits too
    http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...872748858&rd=1

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant
    My DeVere Devon, whole plate, half plate & 5x4 has a Hexagonal rail.
    Out of curiosity, it would be interesting to know exactly what model you have. Mine has a hexagonal rail and a 4x5" back and is simply marked "De Vere" on the front and rear standards and rail end plates. It came with the original cast-alloy lens board marked "De Vere Multi-Purpose Camera London England" (not "Universal" - the perils of writing late at night!). This was the name used in De Vere advertising from 1955 onwards. It has the serial number 5902. As far as I was aware, the name "Devon" came in with the square-rail version - is yours marked "Devon" or was it just sold to you under that name? As I recall, the 8x10" Devon I was using around 1970 had "De Vere Devon" on black plates fitted as facings to the focusing knobs.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's no model marking as far as I remember on my DeVere, I was sold it S/H as a DeVere Devon in the early 70's. It had no lens board.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin