Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,050   Posts: 1,561,131   Online: 745

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Wide Angle Lens for Crown Graphic

Anyone happen to know whether a Schneider Super-Angulon 75mm f5.6 MC lens will fit on a Crown Graphic press camera? My concern is the depth behind the board as the focal length requires retracting the bellows into the body of the camera. I know (from an article posted about the Crown Graphic) that a Rodenstock 75mm 4.5 Grandagon MC lens will work, but from images on the web, the depth of that lens appears less behind the board. Thanks in advance.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't know about the 75mm, but I have a 90mm Super-Angulon, which I use on a Super Graphic (it's a super set up.) The 90mm works well, but with some limitations.

Rise is limited by the rear element running into the bellows on the inside. It still gets a decent amount of rise, just not quite as much as the camera is capable of. The front standard is so far back that it runs into the bed braces when you try to shift, so you get less than 1/2" there. Bed drop is completely impossible. The standard falls off the back of the rails before you can get it into position with the bed lowered. Finally, the camera cannot be folded up with the 90mm lens installed, I have to exchange it for my 150mm when I pack everything up.

I can only imagine that these problems will be the same or worse with a shorter lens. But if you don't need much movement, then you might be fine. That said, I don't know about the rear depth of the lens, hopefully someone else here can give you that information.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I don't understand the question.

The 4x5 Crown's minimum extension is 52.4 mm. The 75/5.6 MC SA's flange focal distance (see https://www.schneideroptics.com/info.../5.6-75mm.html) is 84.4 mm. Its back focus (distance from the rear element's vertex when the lens is focused at infinity) is 50.7 mm.

You have room and to spare.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks both to Augied and Dan. You say, Augied, that it's not possible to drop the bed, but I thought that was essential to keep the bed out of the lens' view. No? And although you say you don't understand the question, Dan, you've answered it. I asked, because I didn't have the information you just gave me, and for which I'm grateful. (The image I've seen of a setup with a Rodenstock 75mm, here:

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ras/pacemaker/

has the bellows contracted so far into the body of the camera that I was concerned about clearance.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Super Graphic is different to the Crown Graphic, I've used a 65mm with y Crown Graphic as well as a 75mm f8 SA and there's no reason an f5.6 75mm SA won't work just as well, as Dan says. It's far easier with the Crown Graphic compared to a Supe Graphic (I use both).

Ian
    Last edited by Ian Grant; 02-23-2014 at 11:59 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Ok, it looks like the example you linked to has the front standard running on the short rails inside the body, and the bed is dropped just to get it out of the way. The 90mm still goes on the outside rails. When I said that bed drop was impossible, I was referring to lens movements. The 90mm falls into the gap created by the drop. But if the standard is inside the body, the issue is moot.

As Ian points out, the cameras are a bit different, but in case anyone's interested, with a 90mm lens on the Super Graphic, the end of the bed just barely creeps into the frame in portrait mode. I don't worry about it too much because the things I shoot usually require at least a small amount of rise.

One more thing about the lens you should check on is the diameter of the rear element. Make sure it's not bigger than the lens board opening.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Augied View Post
    One more thing about the lens you should check on is the diameter of the rear element. Make sure it's not bigger than the lens board opening.
    This is not an issue. If the rear cell is too large to pass through the front standard, it can be unscrewed from the shutter. Then the lensboard with shutter and front cell is mounted on the standard and then, finally, the rear cell is mounted from the rear. I go through this silliness to use 35/4.5 Apo Grandagon and 58/5.6 Grandagon on my 2x3 Graphics.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    35 Grandagon. Sweet!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Fromm View Post
    This is not an issue. If the rear cell is too large to pass through the front standard, it can be unscrewed from the shutter. Then the lensboard with shutter and front cell is mounted on the standard and then, finally, the rear cell is mounted from the rear. I go through this silliness to use 35/4.5 Apo Grandagon and 58/5.6 Grandagon on my 2x3 Graphics.
    True, it's possible, but it's a pain. Especially if you want to store the camera folded up, as I doubt it will close with that lens installed. Just something to be aware of before you spend money.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobalobo View Post
    Anyone happen to know whether a Schneider Super-Angulon 75mm f5.6 MC lens will fit on a Crown Graphic press camera? My concern is the depth behind the board as the focal length requires retracting the bellows into the body of the camera. I know (from an article posted about the Crown Graphic) that a Rodenstock 75mm 4.5 Grandagon MC lens will work, but from images on the web, the depth of that lens appears less behind the board. Thanks in advance.
    hi

if its any help,
    i regularly use a 65 superangulon on my pacemaker speed graphic ..
    its not a crown but just the same ... i dont think you will have trouble
    except if you need rise, it is difficult to rise the standard, unless you
    have tiny child like hands.
    have fun!
    john

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin