Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,907   Posts: 1,584,613   Online: 904

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    I don't know much about the Calumet C400 except for that it's old and cheap. Maybe someone else with more knowledge than me can chime in.

The later model Cambos and Calumets are also cheap and it's easy to find lens boards, bag bellows, compendium shades, etc. for them.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Thanks again, especially to Dr Croubie for the nice link. I've already thrown that into a spreadsheet. Had no idea there were so many choices. It'll be interesting to see how many of these can be located.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have a CC404 I've been trying to sell. It's a beast of a camera, but it sure is well made.
    Jim MacKenzie - Regina, Saskatchewan, Canada

A bunch of Nikons; Feds, Zorkis and a Kiev; Pentax 67-II (inherited from my deceased father-in-law); Bronica SQ-A; and a nice Shen Hao 4x5 field camera with 3 decent lenses that needs to be taken outside more. Oh, and as of mid-2012, one of those bodies we don't talk about here.

Favourite film: do I need to pick only one?

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Good news! Just spoke with a friend who has two Graphic View camreas. He's willing to let me use one to get a feel for a view camera and movements. Now, I suppose I need to find a second job to pay for film.

Kenny

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The Calumet 400 is much like the Graphic View except that the rail is round in cross section as opposed to triangular. I had a student-level Ilex/Caltar 165mm on mine (good coverage) and had a lot of fun trying out all the movements. The Calumet has every single one except back rise & fall, which is not significant.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    I'm looking forward to trying out my friend's Graphic View this weekend. Will try to get a shot or two of the Ellis County TX courthouse. Looks like this: https://www.google.com/search?site=&...73.pcGObLqwAUA

I hope I can do it justice.

Kenny

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by kenj8246 View Post
    Thanks again, especially to Dr Croubie for the nice link. I've already thrown that into a spreadsheet. Had no idea there were so many choices. It'll be interesting to see how many of these can be located.
    It gets worse, click on the link at the top of that page for Michael Davis' lists, then you get to see all the new lenses like the APO, XL, HM, and SWD versions that you can't afford.
    And those lists barely scratch the surface, I've got a Xenotar that is old enough but not on that list. Then you can get into all the ex-Soviet, east german, and pre-war lenses like all those here, and then there are process and enlarging lenses on top of that. (if you want cheap and good soviet stuff, try looking for Industar 11m and RF-4 process lenses, but you'll need to front-mount them to a shutter which might negate all your savings unless you're an engineer like me)

LF is the worst way to get GAS.
    run.
    run while you still can.

Now, I suppose I need to find a second job to pay for film.
    Kenny
    Actually, I find film the cheapest part of the whole lot, if you shoot B+W. FP4 is just over $1 per sheet new, once you've got a mod54 or Jobo 2509 all you need is a few cents worth of rodinal and fixer. Even cheaper if you buy expired from fleabay.
    Just don't get into chromes. Once you see how beautiful they are you'll never want to shoot anything else. I just got a 20 pack of Velvia50 from Japan for US$140. That's AU$9 per sheet, plus another $10 for lab developing. Makes you think more than twice before you click that shutter.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Well, thanks again for all the encouraging news, Dr Croubie.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You did not specify LF only. Hasselblad has the ArcBody and the FlexBody for 120 film. Nikon and others have perspective correcting lenses for 35mm film.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

ROL
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    What is the ideal focal length to take advantage of movements? I have a craving to learn how to use them…
    Simple (though understandably not to you at this juncture). The shortest (widest angle) that has sufficient (or the greatest) coverage for your format.

The reason is that shorter FLs will force you to use all available movements (i.e., shift, tilt, swing) for framing, focus, perrspective control, and to correct for convergence, particularly important with man-made structures, but will allow you more inherent DOF. Attaining more DOF in near/far relationships and closer to the subject is another set of movement combinations especially important as FLs increase and DOF decreases. Longer FLs will be helpful in completing your movement education and practice (aka, Movement 102), thus completing the circle and making a liar of me.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin