Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,926   Posts: 1,522,130   Online: 889

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    So it seems that I need a 4x4 lens board with a 1.5 inch opening. Haven't seen one, but I'll keep looking. Thanks.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobalobo View Post
    So it seems that I need a 4x4 lens board with a 1.5 inch opening. Haven't seen one, but I'll keep looking. Thanks.
    The crown does not use a 4x4 board. Those were known as Graflex C boards and were used on the Graphic View II and the Anniversary Speed graphics. You need the sheetmetal boards for a pacemaker.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    READ the second post in this thread:http://www.graflex.org/helpboard/viewtopic.php?t=6333
    Camera store sites will list them as Graphic lens boards, ebay is anybody's guess.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks. Not sure why I mentioned 4x4, except from (false) memory; I'm away from my camera for another week and couldn't just look. The trick, in any case, is to find a sheet metal board for a pacemaker that has an opening for the shutter, which I still take it is an unusual size.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    The UK made version does fit a 35mm hole, we had the benefit of modern shutters, the US had the Supermatic

Ian

Yeah...why is that? Later we got the Graphic branded compur shutters too but mostly we got the supermatic and the wollensak rapax shutters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I must be missing something... what's so wrong with (or antiquated about) supermatic and the wollensak rapax shutters?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by BradS View Post
    Yeah...why is that? Later we got the Graphic branded compur shutters too but mostly we got the supermatic and the wollensak rapax shutters.
    Apart from a few items (like Graflex cameras) Kodak UK only sold items made in the UK or by their European subsidiaries. Kodak Germany including Nagel were under Kodak UK control.

After WWII Import restrictions into the UK were very severe, you needed a special license to get around them, cameras and other photographic goods were deemed luxuries and close to the top of the restricted items. The 203mm Anastigmat had been made in the UK before the coated Ektar version but had to fit a British shutter as Compurs and Prontors were in very limited production and also restricted imports, so the Ektars were in Epsilon (Ross Ensign) shutters until restrictions were eased and they switched to the Prontor SVS and then late production in the newer last typ of Compur.

Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    I must be missing something... what's so wrong with (or antiquated about) supermatic and the wollensak rapax shutters?
    Not as reliable as the German shutters, also not a modern standard fit.

I have Supermatic and Rapax shutter and I'd far rather have any aged Copur. I have a few spare shutters all #00, #0 or #1 compatible and it's so easy to swop shutter if needed.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    OK, good clarification. I guess I've not had a problem with the size or reliability differences. But I understand that the "fit and finish" of the innards of a Compur are better than that of Supermatic/Rapax/Graphex. Both, however, have always allowed me to get the job done just like my old Ford pick-up gets me where I'm going just as good as my Mercedes does (although the MBZ is a whole lot more comfy).

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Although I appreciate all the information, and with apologies if I've missed it or misunderstood, I'm still not sure where to find the board I need. I see lots of Pacemaker sheet metal boards, but none for the Supermatic shutter. Will buying a sheet metal Pacemaker Board for a Copal 0 shutter and applying a Dremel to sound out 3mm work, or will this likely just ruing the board? Thanks.
    Last edited by Lobalobo; 02-27-2014 at 07:30 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes just buy a Pacemaker #0 board, a Dremel will work OK but a curved file works just as well and doesn't take long at all to open up 2mm,

Ian

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin