Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,166   Online: 747

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Lens Board for Flash Supermatic Shutter

Just purchased on ebay a Kodak Ektar 203mm f7.7 lens in Flash Supermatic Shutter. Paid no attention to the lens board or shutter. I plan to put this on a Crown Graphic and thought I'd just buy a lens board for it, but I stupidly did not focus on the fact that lens boards are both camera and shutter specific. Any suggestions (if the board it comes on doesn't fit a Crown Graphic). Lens won't arrive for about a week.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Do you have any capability to drill a hole in aluminum sheet metal? You can buy a blank board on eBay from heavystar and drill a hole to fit the shutter. You can also probably find one already drilled - try a WTB listing in the classified. I have a couple but they're in storage at the moment.

Dan

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    you need a Pacemaker Graphic lens board with a 35mm hole.
    Last edited by shutterfinger; 02-25-2014 at 01:26 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    You can also get the lens boards from www.KEH.com

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Thanks. I'll look around for a board that fits the shutter. A 35mm hole is suggested, that's Copal #0 right? My concern was that the lens is not in a standard shutter (not Copal, e.g.), but your responses suggest this isn't hopeless. As for drilling, yes I have a drill but not a drill bit that will cut a hole that size.
    Last edited by Lobalobo; 02-25-2014 at 05:54 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobalobo View Post
    Thanks. I'll look around for a board that fits the shutter. A 35mm hole is suggested, that's Copal #0 right? My concern was that the lens is not in a standard shutter (not Copal, e.g.), but your responses suggest this isn't hopeless. As for drilling, yes I have a drill but not a drill bit that will cut a hole that size.
    The threads on the Supramatic shutter will fit through the hole for the Copal #0. If you use a board with a #0 hole, you will have to mount the retaining ring with the flat side to the board (i.e., with the shoulder away from the board, that is, if you have the original retaining ring).

Just FYI, the Supramatics were designed for a 1.5-inch hole (~38mm) and the shoulder on the retaining ring took up the slack and protected the threads on the shutter. If you have the original retaining ring and wish to mount it this way, it is often not too hard to sand or file a #0 hole just a bit larger till the retaining ring shoulder will fit. That is a better mount IMHO.

I love my Ektar 203 and use it a lot.

Best,

Doremus

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I agree with Doremus the Pacemaker boards are easy to file. They are available new from Heavystar on ebay at very reasonable prices.

The 203mm Ektars are nice lenses, in the UK we are lucky as the ones made here (mount 370) are #0 shutter compatible ansd came in Epsilon, Prontor SVS or Compur shutters depending on when they were made.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Eastman Kodak Lens Guide from 1952 says that the hole in a lens board for the Supermatic shutter in which they mounted the 203mm f7.7 is 1.5 inches, or just over 38mm.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    the one i had was mounted with a flange, guess that's why it fit the 35mm hole.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterfinger View Post
    the one i had was mounted with a flange, guess that's why it fit the 35mm hole.
    The UK made version does fit a 35mm hole, we had the benefit of modern shutters, the US had the Supermatic
    Not my favorite shutter - I have a couple.

Ian

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin