Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,942   Posts: 1,557,579   Online: 1149

Shooter
    Medium Format

Wooden (or DIY?) back on Sinar P 8x10

So I got this nice (and cheap!) Sinar P 8x10" package - standard frame, rear carrier and bag bellows. Great so far. But no ground glass spring back. Or any back, for that matter. Has anyone attached another back to a Sinar P frame? Think: a) lighter than Sinar b) cheaper than Sinar. Cambo? Old wooden one? DIY? 'd love to know about your tinkering with this...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Considering how scarce and expensive an 8X10 Sinar P back is going to be, I think you have a good idea in adapting another 8X10 back. I believe with the 8X10 P you run into that quirky Sinar thing of metering and non-metering backs. I don't know for sure, but I think maybe you need the correct version depending on which frame you have. I've read there are metering and non-metering bellows, which implies a difference in the frame. The only online Sinar catalog I have a link to shows only metering backs and bellows for 8X10, but I believe there was an earlier non-metering camera available. If any Sinar Purist catches you using a "wrong" back, say it is just temporary until you can find a genuine Sinar one.

A wooden back will save some weight, although with something as heavy as an 8X10 P, saving a pound or two may not be noticeable. A wooden back will likely be easier to find than a metal one like a Cambo or Calumet, and less expensive. If you get a really ancient wooden back there is a chance it was designed for glass plates and the ground glass spacing may not be correct for modern film holders. This spacing can be adjusted though.

I did a quick look on eBay for stray 8X10 backs and they seem scarce at the moment. If you get impatient, you may have to buy an entire poor condition 8X10 camera just to get the back. Since new bellows for 8X10 cameras tend to be expensive, folks shy away from a camera with a bad bellows.

If you proceed with your idea, please post the results. I've considered doing this to get a workable 5X7 rear standard for my 4X5 Sinar Norma. I've seen 5X7 Norma rear ends missing the back, but passed them up hoping to find one complete with back. But I keep getting outbid, so I'm tempted to buy the next backless one I see and hang another back on it.

Len

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Len, I've seen two complete 5x7" Norma backs since beginning of this year selling for not much. It was on European eBays, though (I'm in Central Europe). I can borrow a 5x7" Norma back from a friend any time, and he doesn't intend to sell it. In fact, he just bought a nice stash of Velvia 50 and APX100 in 13x18 format!
    Someone from APUG did adapt a relatively modern wooden 8x10 back to Sinar P non-metering frame, I believe. Hope he or she chimes in...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin