Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,526   Posts: 1,572,361   Online: 1045

Shooter
    Medium Format

Ektar 203 7.7 & 127 4.7 Rear Element/Cell

Hi Everyone,

Still new to LF, so forgive me if I have some dumb questions.

I was suggested to, and able to pick up an Ektar 203mm 7.7. I was able to find one, along with a 127mm 4.7 for under $150. It seemed like a deal- although the shutter on the 203 appears to need a CLA - it is a little stiff.

The rear cell/element on the 127 has these weird marks -dirt/scratches? in the corner. The rear element on the 127 and the 203 appear slightly different- however have the same threading and fit each other. Would I be able to use the rear element from the 203mm on the 127?

I read a little bit on mounting these lenses (There is also a recent post on the board about it) but to be sure I will ask- I plan to mount the lenses on my Horseman 45HF. I have a lensboard with copal 0 on its way. From my understanding, with the flanges on these lenses there shouldn't be too much of an issue mounting them? Or perhaps the hole on the copal may need to be slightly opened? OR maybe I can just have an undrilled lensboard sent over and have someone put the correct size in. Regardless- I wanted to ask if anyone thought there would be any foreseeable issues mounting theses lenses onto the Horseman.

Thanks in advance!!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    No the rear cells are not interchangable. Ektar was/is a Kodak trade name not a design. Though the name did denote a quality. They were Kodak's quality lenses at a time when Kodak produced some of the worlds best Large format lenses. I do not anticipate you having any trouble mounting those lenses to lens boards. The 203mm is a 4 element Dialyte design. The 127mm lens is to a Tessar design . Both fine lenses.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You can read about both lens in this Kodak Lens Catalog: http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/info/kodak_4.html
    The elements may physically interchange but optically they will not.
    Have the slow running shutter(s) serviced as they will die if you do not. I recently CLAed a Supermatic that had been used until it no longer functioned. It cleaned and adjusted with 2/3 of the speeds correct (in tolerance) and B&T functions marginal.

1 inch=25.4mm; 203/25.4=7.9921259842519685039370078740157 called 8 inch for convince. You need 8 inches of bellows draw to focus it at infinity, approximately 9 inches of bellows draw to focus at 10 feet. 127/25.4=5. You need 5 inches of bellows draw to focus this lens at infinity, approximately 6 inches of bellows draw to focus to roughly 4 feet.
    If the lens board is large enough for the shutter to fit on and there is enough bellows draw to focus it at the distances you plan to use it for then it will work on that camera.

Use the private message function to inquire about my servicing the shutter(s) if interested.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You will need a retaining ring or mounting flange for the shutter(s). I bought a 203 without a flange or ring, and ended up buying a flange from SK Grimes (they didn't have a stock ring for that shutter).

I seem to remember that I had to open up the Copal #1 opening just a bit to fit the 203 flange. And the Copal #0 opening a bit to fit the 105mm Ektar with retaining ring. I used a Dremel with sanding drum= the amount was small in both cases. It doesn't have to be a super-precise press fit.

I ran a test of the 203 Ektar versus a Caltar-II multicoated 210mm (Rodenstock Sironar, I believe). The Ektar was a touch sharper; the Caltar maybe a touch more 'micro-cotrast.' I have stayed with the Ektar. Enjoy the Ektar(s) for a while before worrying about other lenses.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    See the discussion on mounting the Supramatic shutter here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/1...c-shutter.html

And look at my reply over at the LF forum.

FWIW, you usually don't have to post both there and here; most of us visit both sites regularly.

Best,

Doremus

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin