Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,495   Posts: 1,543,026   Online: 827

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    You mentioned you use 35mm film but didn't mention which camera you use. It might be possible to use some, maybe all, of these lenses on a 35mm body using suitable adapters. I've never used any of those specific lenses so I'm not sure what you can expect from them. If any of them have poor surfaces, ie cleaning marks/scratches, or have haze or fungus then your images may be quite soft and may not be worth the trouble.

All of these lenses will need some focusing mechanism such as a helicoid or bellows to enable infinity focus. I'm not sure it's worth the cost or effort but a cheap bellows might get you a long way down this track and it would probably be a bit of fun and a learning experience. I often use similar lenses on a digital 35mm body but there's no reason you can't do the same on a film body. See http://photocornucopia.com/1027.html for some examples of how to adapt enlarging or similar lenses with a helicoid or bellows. Some of these lenses might be too large to fit any M42 or similar bellows but there are other ways depending on how determined you are. I use a large format camera with a 35mm body at the rear for such difficult to adapt lenses.
    Last edited by jjphoto; 03-04-2014 at 12:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The f7.7 Kodak Anastigmat may well be a Dialyte it's probably a 170m and covers 5x4 it'll be off a postcard sized Kodak 3a. The lens cells fit Supermatic and Rapax shutters. Actually a very good lens excellent at all distances.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Whiteymorange View Post
    Best description of this lot I've heard yet. Good choice of words, Bethe.
    And you're one of them! I, uh, mean, one of US!

When I joined APUG, I was using medium format and still mostly 35mm. Now, I barely use the 35mm stuff and am even contemplating an 8x10 (I have two holders that I bought for pinhole stuff). I recently bought a new 4x5. I blame/thank APUG for the fact that I now have 4 working 4x5s, 3 or 4 folders that take 120 (6x6 and 6x9), and a few pinhole cameras that I didn't have before Jan '05. I started trying out 4x5 because I saw APUGers (Whitey and papagene included) using them at an outing and because someone gave me an old lens for 4x5. That lens still has not been used by me, but I've acquired all the other stuff partially because of it.

It may be a slippery slope or a wild ride, but it's a good way to use some brain cells and produce something you can be proud of. I like being able to say "I made this." And the added bonus of starting with an oddball piece of something and making a way to use it is lots of fun.

If nothing else, they are great little subjects for some still life shots. I hope none of this scares you off and that you find a cool way to use these lenses.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Good to hear you're moving up formats Bethe. It's a few years since I went MF then LF and I've never looked back. I enjoy shooting 5x4 hand-held while in Turkey (I do use a tripod of permitted) and it's fun.

When it's not fun I'll stop

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As I recall, Bethe, the outing your speaking of (with Art liam, etc. at the Quabbin) was just before my brain surgery. I had brought partial kits of three different formats, unable at that time to get my act together at all. I was lucky to have even found my way there! If you thought that looked like something you wanted to try, you were already well on your way to perdition and I had little to do with it. Papagene, on the other hand was cool, collected and efficient (god, I hate that guy!) He was, and is, a good example of a photographer who knows what he's doing and gets it done. He has saved my bacon, and my camera, more than once on a shoot (did I tell you how I hate that guy?). I suspect it was his example that made large format seem like a reasonable choice.

Still, years, and many cameras later, I too am very glad I went this route. Large-format photography is an experimenter's dream, filled with discovery, adventure and surprise. Using the brain cells, problem solving, creating in the moment... all of the above. It's worth the small amount of money you can spend to get started. Many items are free or almost free if you let people know you are looking for them.

After you get started, of course, you have to watch out you don't spend all of your money.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've tried a 135mm Tessar in leaf shutter mounted on the front of a bellows and got some neat results on ektachrome.
    The problem may be the length of bellows needed. 6"+ for 180 @ infinity. Don't forget bellows factor either.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well, there was also a LF portrait day in Springfield (might have been my first get together) when the gallery was still in the old bank and there were a few LF prints hanging up. And the day at the Quabbin, something at your school (other than the show opening) - demos of different stuff, and the weekend down the Cape (might not have been much LF then, though). I think it was the day at the Quabbin that had a bunch to do with it, though, and Gene was doing his best to be an enabler.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin