Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,699   Posts: 1,549,146   Online: 1136

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm

I have a few lenses I dont know if I can adapt them to my use.Any Ideas?

I have a four of these lenses. I might be able to use the Wollensak

Image # 101_2944 Lens on left is a C.P. Goertz #375353 Dogmar 1:6,3 F 165mm D.R.P.
    On the right is a Compur No.81646 Anticomar 1:42 F 18cm Plaubel & Co.

Image # 101_2937 - Wollensak Rochester NY USA Enlarging F4:5 to 32 Velostgmat 6 3/8" Focus

Image # 101_2936 Kodak Antistigmat F-7.7
    The ones with shutters all seem to work well and glass is decent. Any Ideas of what I can use these for? I do not know the history behind these. I found these cleaning out my father-in-laws basement. They seem to be old but still functional.
    I currently shoot 35 mm film and develop and print B&W I would have to think on mounting the Wollensak enlarging lens. I would need to cut a lensboard for it I think as the mount is different on my Beseler 23cII. ANy input would be appreciated and if anyone has a use for these let me know
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 101_2944.JPG   101_2937.JPG   101_2936.JPG  

Shooter
    127 Format
    Images
    You could stack up a bunch of extension tubes, or a cardboard tube like toilet paper rolls, and use them on your 35mm cameras (carefully!). I've done that with some interesting results.

They might not be worth thousands of dollars, but they do have some value and are all usable at the very least...so don't give them away unless you just want them to go to a good home to be used.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you stick around here long enough, you'll start getting interested in shooting larger formats than 35mm and these will then come in handy. Just mentioning, since that tends to happen.

Welcome to APUG!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The 165mm f6.3 Goertz Dogmar is a Dialyt, covers 4x5 with movements, has a 55° angle of view, basically a normal to slighter longer than normal for the format. Introduced in 1926. The shutter is a Dial Set shutter.
    Plaubel Anticomar 18cm/180mm f4.2 is in a Dial set Compur. Covers 6x9. Possibly mid 1950's vintage.
    Dial set shutters are not cocked to use the B bulb or T time setting. Set the lever/dial to B for bulb, T for time, I for instantaneous, set the speed dial to the desired shutter speed and cock the shutter. B- press the release lever to open the shutter, release the lever to close the shutter. T- press the release to open the shutter, press the release a second time to close the shutter.

Kodak Anastigmat f7.7 is in a Kodak ball bearing shutter. Focal length 170mm to 203mm. Probably off a folder that made post card size negatives or a similar size. Should be a good performer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In other words you have a few very usable lenses should you decide to shoot a larger format negative than you currently do. The Anticomar should also cover 4x5, if you want it to. All you have to do now is start buying more equipment...larger equipment. It is a slippery slope, but the valley you fall into isn't an unpleasant place to be, honest. You just have to get used to thinking about gear, moving gear around your house, loading your car with gear, having the choices overwhelm you when you go out to shoot, talking about cameras with other denizens of the valley, lusting after that old, moldy 8 x 10 you saw in the basement of a distant relative, examining odd lenses and wondering what type of image they might make on a camera, designing lens boards, new backs, new film holders for whatever project is working away in your feverish little mind at any given time... No, it's not a bad place at all. You just have to be a little crazy, is all.

Come on in. The water is fine.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by winger View Post
    you'll start getting interested in shooting larger formats ... and these will then come in handy ... that tends to happen.
    it certainly does ...

Shooter
    35mm
    Thank you all for your help. Photography to me over the years has been very addictive. I started with film and progressed to more equipment. I started to develop film and print and my addiction grew.I upgraded my enlarger x2 and now that I am fully retired I will have more time. I never thoght about mounting the lens on an extension tube. I will try that and see what happens.It will give a good idea of the condition of the glass. They all look good to the naked eye. How would I go about building a large format body? Now you guys have me getting more inquisitive. I will have to do some research on that. I have the capabilities and resources to do this at home.
    Thanks again. this is a GREAT site !

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you're interested in building your own camera and doing some (perhaps) quirky stuff, look up the book "Primitive Photography" by Alan Greene. I'm pretty sure it's available on Amazon. He has basic plans there for building a camera and making some lenses. Or keep an eye on the classifieds here for something to start with. This is a pretty good group of film-using enablers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    group of film-using enablers.
    Best description of this lot I've heard yet. Good choice of words, Bethe.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    It is a slippery slope
    No, its a steep hill to climb, almost a mountain, that turns into the slippery slope once you crest it.
    What makes it a steep hill you ask? The only auto exposure/focus system is that gray matter between your ears.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin