Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,222   Posts: 1,532,432   Online: 1160

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    It sounds like you should either return the shutter or (more realistically if you intend to shoot film) have it overhauled by a competent repair person.
    Thanks, Jon. Found someone who offers to do repairs on the Graflex site. I'll see the cost and tell the seller that I'll keep the lens and shutter if he'll rebate the cost of the repair, which I imagine he'll do given that (unless he's dishonest) he can't sell the thing in its current condition except as non-working, which will get him little.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Please don't ask me to comment on that tactic because I'll end up using very harsh words. Buyers can be dishonest too.

Remember, these old shutters are OLD... and overhaul is expected unless it was advertized in "like new, fully operating to spec" condition. Otherwise, it is OLD and overhaul is expected.

Using old cameras is an expensive hobby!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Found someone who offers to do repairs on the Graflex site.
    and he posts here also.

There are 3 versions of the Kodak Supermatic shutter: Supermatic has no flash sync; Flash Supermatic has flash sync for all types of flash bulbs and electronic flash; Supermatic X has flash sync for electronic flash only. They can be labeled Kodak or Graphic Supermatic. Both will say made by Kodak.
    The control layout and operation are on page 12 of http://www.cameraeccentric.com/html/...raflex_11.html .

Easy, non technical method to tell if your leaf shutter is in need of servicing. Position the shutter so that you can see the shutter blades and an analog clock with a second hand at the same time.
    Set the speed dial to 1 (second), cock the shutter. When the second hand reaches a second mark trip the shutter. The shutter should open then close just as the second hand reaches the next second mark. The speed tolerance range for 1 second is .8 to 1.2. A narrow second hand width either side of the second mark is acceptable. Now move the speed dial to 2 for 1/2 second. Repeat the cock and release sequence. The shutter should open and close as the second hand reaches the mid point between the second marks. Tolerance on this speed is 1/2 the second hand width. Continue increasing the shutter speed and observe that they run faster up to 1/60-1/100 then decrease the shutter speeds noting that they get slower until you can actually time them on a clock. Many shutters just needing servicing run slow for the first 1 to 5 cock/trip cycles, operate correctly, then return to running slow when allowed to sit for a few hours to overnight. Shutters that are run until they quit working rarely return to full operation when serviced. Speeds up to 1/100-1/125 are controlled by the delay gearing which is set for accurate 1 second with some having an additional 1/15 or 1/25 second adjustment. Speeds above 1/125 is booster spring tension.

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Just send it back.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterfinger View Post
    and he posts here also.

Easy, non technical method to tell if your leaf shutter is in need of servicing. Position the shutter so that you can see the shutter blades and an analog clock with a second hand at the same time.
    Set the speed dial to 1 (second), cock the shutter. When the second hand reaches a second mark trip the shutter. The shutter should open then close just as the second hand reaches the next second mark.
    Thanks. That would be a good suggestion except that it isn't needed. One second is roughly how long it takes to say "one thousand" and the shutter stays open no longer than it takes to say "on".

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Please don't ask me to comment on that tactic because I'll end up using very harsh words. Buyers can be dishonest too.

Remember, these old shutters are OLD... and overhaul is expected unless it was advertized in "like new, fully operating to spec" condition. Otherwise, it is OLD and overhaul is expected.

Using old cameras is an expensive hobby!
    Didn't ask you to comment, but since you did, I'll comment on your response: you are out of line. "Tactic"? "Dishonest?" I accused no one of being dishonest but you level an accusation with no information. Guilty conscience? Just asking. The lens in shutter were not sold "as is" and were listed on eBay with this description: "The item may have some signs of cosmetic wear, but is fully operational and functions as intended." I'm entirely within my rights to return the item, and what's more the seller agrees, and has already apologized. Everyone here has behaved well, except you.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Aren't these your words in post #11, "(unless he's dishonest)"? "He's" being the seller. I also made a generic statement and never pointed a finger at you.

And, no, there is no guilty concience but I do live with the residual memory of a guy who bought a fully-functional camera from me, didn't know how to use it (admitted in email and forum postings), broke it, returned it for refund, and then upon inspection the camera showed signs of being improperly "adjusted".

All I'm saying is that it goes both ways sometimes.

As Jon suggests... just send it back. I'm happy that you and the seller see eye-to-eye.

Good luck to you... and I mean that.
    Last edited by BrianShaw; 03-06-2014 at 08:42 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Aren't these your words in post #11, "(unless he's dishonest)"? "He's" being the seller. I also made a generic statement and never pointed a finger at you.
    What I said in fact is this: "I'll keep the lens and shutter if he'll rebate the cost of the repair, which I imagine he'll do given that (unless he's dishonest) he can't sell the thing in its current condition except as non-working, which will get him little." So in context, it's quite apparent that I was assuming the seller is honest, thus "which I imagine he'll do." By pulling the words you quote out of the sentence I wrote you gave the impression that I said just the opposite of what I did say. Nice work.

As for your making a "generic statement," and pointing no fingers, please don't insult my intelligence. You said quite cleary that if you were asked to comment on my "tactic" you would use "harsh language." Perhaps you have difficulty understanding the plain meaning of the written word, but I don't.

Maybe your experience with a returned camera convinces you that I broke the shutter and am seeking a refund nonetheless. If you look at my original post, you'll see that I knew perfectly well how to operate the shutter (confirmed by the responses I received). But I thought that perhaps I was mistaken and that my ignorance, if any, might explain the behavior I observed (or thought I observed). Turned out, I did not misunderstand, but the shutter simply did not work properly as shipped, something for which, as I said, the seller has apologized and offered a refund. He did not even suggest that it was tested and working properly when shipped, but only that he was unaware it was not working properly, a statement I have no reason to doubt.

Again, the only one in this story who has exhibited any lack of good will is you, and if you think your last post was an apology, you are again mistaken. But, I take you at your word in wishing me luck, and I wish you the same.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Look, you can either take my words at face value or you can read into them whatever you want and go on hating and arguing with me. Your choice. I have no interest in your blabbering. Return the shutter and move on. Ciao.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Look, you can either take my words at face value or you can read into them whatever you want and go on hating and arguing with me. Your choice. I have no interest in your blabbering. Return the shutter and move on. Ciao.
    Look, buddy, I started neither the unpleasant accusations nor the lawyerly arguing, such as in your last post where you cited and quoted and characterized my words to suggest that I was mistaken my characterization of my own words. It never ceases to amuse me that those who attack others online take the greatest offense when anyone responds in kind. Thanks for the laugh. Best wishes to you, truly.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin