Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,573   Posts: 1,545,694   Online: 785

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Shooter
    4x5 Format

Help Needed with Kodak Flash Supermatic Shutter

Just purchased an Ektar f/7.7 203mm lens in a Kodak Flash Supermatic Shutter. Having some difficulty with one aspect of the shutter's operation and hope that someone here can help. The issue I'm having is with the red shutter-speed indication in the upper right quadrant of the lens (facing the the lens). These red markings are "10, 5, 2, 1, B, T" and they sit just above a slide marked, also in red, "M" at one end and "F" at the other. When the shutter is cocked it's possible to cock another lever, one that sits above the red "T" and cocks by bringing it down toward and to the "F" or the "M" (goes to the "F" if the slide is at the "F" and to the "M" if the slide is there). Cocking this lever seems to activate the slower shutter speeds, those marked in red, rather than the faster shutter speeds, marked in black lower and on the left of the shutter. That is, the same dial changes both the black and the red shutter settings, but either the black or the red seems to be chosen depending on whether the second lever is cocked after the shutter itself is cocked.

So far so good, but here's my confusion. When the slide I mention is set to "F" the shutter is faster, or seems faster, than when it is set to "M" and even when the slide is set to "M" the shutter does not seem to be open as long as the red numbers seem to indicate; specifically, when the shutter is dialed to the red "1" and the second lever cocked, the shutter does not stay open for nearly a full second (more like half a second). Moreover, I'm not sure why the speed of the shutter is altered by the slide being set to "F" or "M". From the research I've done, the "F" and "M" are settings designed to delay when the shutter opens, depending on which flash bulb, if any, is used, but this shouldn't as I understand it, affect how long the shutter remains open. What am I missing? Thanks in advance. (And by the way I have looked online for an owner's manual for the shutter, but haven't found one.)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    F and M are flash synchronizations.

Check out www.graflex.org
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    F and M are flash synchronizations.

Check out www.graflex.org
    Thanks, Sirius. As I say in my original post, I know that F and M are flash syncs, but what confuses me is why these settings change the duration of the lens opening (as opposed to its timing).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I do not remember anything about the change in duration.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    I do not remember anything about the change in duration.
    Well, am I correct that cocking the lever near the red numbers slows the shutter to those numbers?

Shooter
    Plastic Cameras
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Lobalobo View Post
    Well, am I correct that cocking the lever near the red numbers slows the shutter to those numbers?
    Hi, I advise not to play around with the flash sync lever, unless you are using flash. It doesn't change the shutter speed, or is not supposed to if the shutter is working properly.

Look at the dial again. The shutter speed is just dependent on how far the outer dial is turned. It has 2 pointers, but can only to point to one range at a time, depending on how far you turn it. The shutter needs a little cleaning to be more accurate.

Jon
    Mendocino Coast Black and White Photography: www.jonshiu.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    By "flash" he means "flash bulbs," the old kind filled with magic metal that goes <POOF>. Depending on the kind of bulb they start and burn faster or slower, and the shutter setting you're monkeying around with changes the onset of the shutter to match which kind of bulb you're using. Which is why the speed feels like it's changed since all the whirring takes longer, but the open duration doesn't really change.

Unless I totally miss what you're worried about.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Lobalobo is partly correct about altering the setting between X & M because the shutter mechanism will sound slower on the M setting because of the introduction of the delay between tripping the shutter and it actually opening.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Shiu View Post
    Hi, I advise not to play around with the flash sync lever, unless you are using flash. It doesn't change the shutter speed, or is not supposed to if the shutter is working properly.

Look at the dial again. The shutter speed is just dependent on how far the outer dial is turned. It has 2 pointers, but can only to point to one range at a time, depending on how far you turn it. The shutter needs a little cleaning to be more accurate.

Jon
    This is very helpful, Jon. So even assuming that it's my imagination that operating the flash sync lever is affecting shutter speeds, there is the issue that the shutter speed does not become visibly slower when set to the red numbers. Am I correct that "1" should be one full second? Not getting that, or even close; can't visually see much difference between "1" and "400" in fact, and the B setting doesn't work. (Got it to work once or twice when the lens first arrived, but no longer.) Should I just return the lens/shutter do you think?
    Last edited by Lobalobo; 03-05-2014 at 08:36 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It sounds like you should either return the shutter or (more realistically if you intend to shoot film) have it overhauled by a competent repair person.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin