Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,514   Posts: 1,543,615   Online: 1117

Shooter
    Multi Format

Graflex Grafmatic repair

Does anyone know of someone in the United Kingdom who can repair a Graflex grafmatic back model 1268 for grafloc.
    It was working fine until recently the shouldered set screw holding the lock sheared off, fortunately I rescued the little ball bearing and spring for the 3 stop positions but I need a new set screw and the threaded hole needs retapping to accept it.
    Also unfortunately in my examination and disassembly it is not working properly now ie. the whole drawer will not slide back in properly, the dark slide operation is still OK and the counting mechanism is unaffected I think it is something to do with the sliders but not sure.
    So rather than make things worse I would like to defer to someone with experience and have the job done properly.
    Hope someone out there in UK can help!

George

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Also ask on www.graflex.org
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Go to http://www.southbristolviews.com/ , click on the Graflex Manuals link in the left plane and download the PDF service manual for the format size you have. If you ask on Graflex. org I may respond there with the same.
    I provided the manuals for Rich to post there.

These things do wear out after a while. I have at least one that is dead and unrepairable.

That broken off screw can be removed without having to tap the hole.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks very much for the link to http://www.southbristolviews.com
    I wish I had had the service instructions first! what a wonderful resource, I have bought a couple of original manuals for my Speed Graphic but operation manuals are not enough!
    I still want to find a proper repair man in the UK however
    Thanks again
    George

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I am pleased to report having studied the service manual that you posted the link to and then looking closely at what I had done, it seems that the culprit was the metal strip holding the felt which I had to re-glue back on. I stuck it slightly off centre and it therefore obstructed the drawer going right home!
    So it is fully functional again except for the locking wheel,but at least I can still use it.
    Thanks again for your helpful post.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    IPB figure1 item 18 part number 32388P1 - screw, machine special:
    #3-56 .546 long, threaded section .343, unthreaded section .130, shoulder .073 x .153, head .277. All measurements in inch. 1 inch = 25.4mm.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32388P1 Screw, machine special.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	85209

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Brilliant thanks again! I looked at item 18 on the service and parts catalog and thought well I can measure the broken one but what is the thread and depth - now I know I can have one machined

Cheers

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterfinger View Post
    IPB figure1 item 18 part number 32388P1 - screw, machine special:
    #3-56 .546 long, threaded section .343, unthreaded section .130, shoulder .073 x .153, head .277. All measurements in inch. 1 inch = 25.4mm.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	32388P1 Screw, machine special.jpg 
Views:	16 
Size:	123.8 KB 
ID:	85209
    Hi,
    Just so you know when I was checking the thread on my broken screw I found it to be in fact 3-48 UNC as measured against that tap, the 3-56 was much finer, maybe Graflex used different screws on early and late models of the Grafmatic, I don't know, but for anyone who may have the same problem as I did, it is worth checking to make certain to avoid problems.

Best regards

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I may have mismeasured, good that you caught it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin