Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,928   Posts: 1,585,198   Online: 764

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Sell it to Bob C. He has offered "higher than $500) hehe

I own a 150 Symmar-S and it doesn't look like that so I don't think that's what it is.

I might consider it if I had extra money, once i sell my 4x5 field for an 8x10 field, I'll want a nice studio camera for macro work. But no scratch now...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Med. Format RF
    Images
    Did I not mention that I use this camera, so thanks but I will pass... But when one values the equipment some use here at the price of two cups of coffee and a muffin to go from Starbucks, well it tells me something about that person here on APUG.

Many photographers, pro and amature, lab owners and technicians purchased their equipment at retail value back in the good old days ,{well even today} never considered the prices they paid impossible. It was equipment needed to do the type of work they had to do and would always find the scratch.
    The new digital phase system is worth over 50k and finally it delivers image quality that the OP's camera is wondering about a price.

It is crazy/absurd too me that people will pay upwards of 6k for a SLR digital camera, but a high quality film camera is considered worthless.
    Though I work in PS day in and day out , use equipment that is scary expensive, I have never taken a digital photo, other than a camera phone snap. So film
    equipment is worthwhile to me and maybe I would be the sucker that would pay more than $500 for it as Stoned Nyc suggests. But a big difference in my world is that
    I would actually use it and treasure it and not see if I could make a quick buck on it.

It seems lately , this forum and large format forum is flooded with Ebay mentality members who seem to be active only to buy and sell and offer little to the discussion of photography.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Sell it to Bob C. He has offered "higher than $500) hehe

I own a 150 Symmar-S and it doesn't look like that so I don't think that's what it is.

I might consider it if I had extra money, once i sell my 4x5 field for an 8x10 field, I'll want a nice studio camera for macro work. But no scratch now...

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Carnie View Post
    Did I not mention that I use this camera, so thanks but I will pass... But when one values the equipment some use here at the price of two cups of coffee and a muffin to go from Starbucks, well it tells me something about that person here on APUG.

Many photographers, pro and amature, lab owners and technicians purchased their equipment at retail value back in the good old days ,{well even today} never considered the prices they paid impossible. It was equipment needed to do the type of work they had to do and would always find the scratch.
    The new digital phase system is worth over 50k and finally it delivers image quality that the OP's camera is wondering about a price.

It is crazy/absurd too me that people will pay upwards of 6k for a SLR digital camera, but a high quality film camera is considered worthless.
    Though I work in PS day in and day out , use equipment that is scary expensive, I have never taken a digital photo, other than a camera phone snap. So film
    equipment is worthwhile to me and maybe I would be the sucker that would pay more than $500 for it as Stoned Nyc suggests. But a big difference in my world is that
    I would actually use it and treasure it and not see if I could make a quick buck on it.

It seems lately , this forum and large format forum is flooded with Ebay mentality members who seem to be active only to buy and sell and offer little to the discussion of photography.
    You have to consider the market and the object.

The supply of these is high and the demand is low.

It's also just a box, I know that sucks to hear but, I've never thought the camera portion of most LF cameras to be worth that much considering it's mostly air and I can produce the same images using a cardboard box (which I have also used) I would value the lenses much higher and willing to pay more for a lens, even in the thousands.

It's like the Hassleblad thing, it's mostly just a damn square box but because in order to use the lenses you need a body, Hassleblad can sell the body for a high price, because they've got you by the b@11$ but that doesn't mean it's that much in value based on labor and research/testing.

Especially metal bodies made in factory vs handmade wooden items which are hand crafted.

Yes yes, tooling and production line costs, but let's get real, the labor if a wooden hand lacquered camera is of much higher value than a metal mold.

Anyway, again, it's supply and demand, the value drops when the need for the item is lessened.

A Motorola cell phone from the 90's can have a new battery added and it will turn on just fine, but there are few cell towers running actual cells anymore that support that communication system, so the value of the item is very low because it may only function in some 3rd world countries who have not gotten newer technologies.

That's reality, it doesn't make it fair, but the person who bought that cell phone new shouldn't complain when he can only sell it for a cup of Starbucks coffee as a prop for a period movie...
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    This is a Sinar F+ camera. The original Sinar F had a smaller, square rail-to-triopd clamp. The larger rail clamp here, the same one as used on the Sinar P, was added to the Sinar F+ model. It doesn't appear to have an updated ground glass back so I would guess it is an original F+, vintage late '70's or '80's. I own one myself and gave seminars for Sinar. You can find tons of them advertised on Ebay with lenses for $400-$600 range.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jcc View Post
    (1) Sinar
    (2) $20
    (3) Studio

I could be off on one of these.
    You get tired of these one post wonders pumping for info they could find on ebay or KEH. I actually thought jcc's answer was appropriate and entertaining.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by jimgalli View Post
    You get tired of these one post wonders pumping for info they could find on ebay or KEH. I actually thought jcc's answer was appropriate and entertaining.
    It may also be a product of bad APUG programming.

Every other forum, if you make a post, you become subscribed and if you post on a thread you become subscribed, this is the only forum I've ever seen that you need to manually add subscription for YOURSELF on your own thread! So he just may have never gotten any notification that anyone reply and assumed that no one did...

Or found the info somewhere else.

It would be nice if this was changed as a function.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    APUG automatically subscribes me to threads I create or post to. I believe it is a feature that defaults to ON.
    Truzi

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Help! What Am I Looking at Here?

Quote Originally Posted by Truzi View Post
    APUG automatically subscribes me to threads I create or post to. I believe it is a feature that defaults to ON.
    Strange... When I joined it wasn't on, and I don't even know how to turn it on... Can you tell me where to find the switch?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Hang in there Stone, I know it's frustrating, but you'll get the hang of it once you've been on the internet for a year or so

At the bar on the top of any APUG page choose "General Settings."
    Scroll down to the "Messaging & Notification" section.
    Under that is "Default Thread Subscription Mode" - you will see a pull-down list.

Choices are:
    - "Do Not Subscribe" - you will not be subscribed when you post. All other choices have to do with how you will be notified of a post to a subscribed thread (implying they all "subscribe").
    - "Through my control panel only" - you have to go to control panel to view subscriptions.
    The other three choices are email notification options.

Of course, you can also subscribe manually to a thread you have not posted to.
    Truzi

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I'd put it closer to $200, but yes, it's an F. I just bought an F from KEH for a bit less than $200, and they still have another one in inventory for $179.
    What he said.

My friend just picked up an Sinar F2 with a 210mm lens for $400 on the big bay.

Monorail LF cameras seem to be a dime a dozen these days.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin