Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,832   Posts: 1,582,356   Online: 928

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It depends, what model specifically do you have?
    I got an 'Omega View 45D' as my first 4x5, and by first I mean less than a year ago. And I think I paid more in shipping than for the actual camera, still not much for either though.
    To echo what Tom said, the standard blocks can be overtightened and can break, and once they're broken they're hard to glue. I noticed it after using it for a few weeks, but couldn't tell (let alone prove) whether it had come like that or if I'd done it so I couldn't return it.
    I've seen someone selling blocks on fleabay for only $10, but it's $60 shipping from the US so not really worth it.
    Other than that, it's not a bad camera. Simple lock/release tilt/shift/swing/rise etc, only gearing is fine-focus. Bellows are allegedly non-interchangeable, but there's only 9 screws to undo and a bit of glue to break, and you can interchange with other Toyo/Omega bellows (I had a 45G bag-bellows on mine until I got my 45G). Rails are also non-extendable but easily swapped to extendable ones.

Flash forward to a month ago, and I picked up Polyglot's old Toyo View 45G.
    Metal standard clamps, no more cracking. Geared rise and shift, plus fine-focus, simple release tilt/swing. Only 1 fault I've found with it so far is that the gear-rail for the geared-shift is loose, I'll attack it with a screwdriver one day.
    In short, it's a much better camera, more solid, but man it's heavier because of it. So much so that I'm almost considering keeping the 45D, at least until I get my travelwide, then I'll on-sell it.

I'm not sure if Omega View ever rebadged the Toyo View 45E/G/Gii/GX/C/CX, or if they just stuck with the 45D. Certainly the 45D was the baby, the prototype, whatever you want to call it, and they certainly fixed a lot of its problems in the 45E and later models. But it's still not a bad camera for learning, they're certainly cheap, and fine as long as you know its limitations (just don't overtighten those standard-clamps).
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The question is, how good is the photographer? The camera will only be that good.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks Dr. C,

That really what I wanted to find out. things light durabilty and quality. I would love to get one of two of the field 4x5 camera's current for sale in Classified. The Omega View I think is more indoor studio work, It's a beast to out and about.

Todd

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    The Omega View I think is more indoor studio work, It's a beast to out and about.
    Tell me about it.
    Two weeks ago I had my 45G on Vanguard Tripod in one hand, then 65/8 SA, 90/5.6 SWD, 180/5.6 Symmar, 270/5.6 Tele Arton, DaYi 617, Graflex 23, Fuji 405, plus god knows how many holders, filters, and rollfilms in my Lowepro 350 on my back.

Took it not more than maybe 500m from the carpark, over sand and rocks and such (but they're rocks that I've been climbing over since I was 4 years old, I've done it in the dark with fishing rods/boxes numerous times). Plus it was just on sunrise, barely 20C yet, in shorts and t-shirt. And damn I was a complete puddle of sweat by the end of it, I nearly slipped off a rock because I was light-headed from not bringing any water (was only out there an hour).
    Was so sore by the end of it I could barely do the work that I'd gone down the shack to do.

Bring on the travelwide.

But at least it's damn good exercise...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Large Format
    As I recall, the Omega/Toyo View (same model) was lighter than a Calumet.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, I made a living with one for 20+ years. Mainly product and general commercial photography. I liked the center tilts and the large lensboards, although I wished for removable bellows. Used it for location work, too but later got a wooden folder to save my back. I never had any problem with the camera, in fact I still have it.
    Jim

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin