Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,957   Posts: 1,558,059   Online: 1090

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

How good is a Omega View 45 camera?

Hey guys,

I was just wondering what some of you thought about how good the Omega View 4x5 cameras are?

Todd

Shooter
    Multi Format
    About as good as the guy using one, just like most other cameras.
    What specifically do you want to know?

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would assume you mean, lens sharpness, durability, and adaptability? It is a classic according to a lot of Google information, and over at the large format forum, so, with that knowledge, I would say, if buying, go for it, I doubt you will not be unsatisfied! The cheaper the better, but, do not leave out anything important, or sacrifice seemingly unimportant small things, that are crucial! Grab a Polaroid back that works with fujifilms 4X5, and your golden!xD

Shooter
    Medium Format

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Let me back up.. Sometime ago.. I went over to gentlemen house that was a traditional film photographer that had a beautiful set up, He was getting up in age, So I went to his home and he had everything and was thinning out some of his things. So making small talk, I mentioned that I dabble in 4x5 shooting aswell, and mentioned that I owned a Omega view 4x5. His reply was.. "oh.. those are not very good cameras." I've never had an issue with mine other than being kind of clunky and heavy. So do you know what he might of been talking about as far as not being very good cameras? Optically, construction.. ect?

Todd
    Last edited by ToddB; 04-08-2014 at 04:23 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    It's a good camera, but fragile. The weak point is the standard blocks and tripod block. While they look beefy enough, they are of a plastic that is brittle, and once broken, no glue on earth will stick to them. Voice of experience. This camera came out about 1977 and I was one of the first buyers. I broke it inside of 2 months. I liked the camera overall, but they are fragile. I remember ordering a new block, installing it, and getting rid of the camera for a Calumet that I own to this day.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The Omega was an inexpensive camera in its day. New they were $400 + or - as I recall, where the "good" cameras like Sinars, for example, were $2000 +.
    Feature-wise all view cameras are pretty similar, the major differences are in how precisely everything fits together and how robust all the parts are.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    OK.. Thanks for clearifing this. I'll keep an eye on that joint.

Todd

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I used mine for years and was very happy with it. But, it was always much more awkward to schlepp around than the Shen Hao field camera I replaced it with. I also discovered pinprick light leaks in the bellows, but was able to mend them with black duck tape. Still, as written, it served me well while I used it....solid, rugged, all movements very flexible, and the gg rotated without having to remove it.
    John Voss

My Blog

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The build quality of some of the parts of the camera are a bit suspect, but if you don't try to use it for a hammer it should be fine.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin