Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,957   Posts: 1,558,065   Online: 1102

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

127mm Rodenstock Ysaron Lens Question

I bought a polaroid CU-5 (maybe) and am wondering how I determine the lens size. The CU-5 manual makes reference to a 3” lens and a 5” lens but from what I understand a Rodenstock lens is not typical with these cameras.
    It’s a 127mm Rodenstock Ysaron Lens.
    Attachment 85797Attachment 85798
    Lastly what a 3” lens used for v. a 5” lens?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    1 inch = 25.4 millimeters
    127/25.4=5 inch
    3*25.4=76.2mm

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ... or in other words: 5 inch is about a "normal" lens and 3 inch is about a "wide angle" lens.

A 12 inch lens is for seeing into the future.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks. I appreciate it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianShaw View Post
    ... or in other words: 5 inch is about a "normal" lens and 3 inch is about a "wide angle" lens.

A 12 inch lens is for seeing into the future.
    The CU-5 is non-focusing, is intended for photographing electrophoresis gels. It uses 3 1/4 x 4 1/4 type 665 and 667 Polaroid film.

Shorter lenses -- the shortest is probably the 17/4 Tominon -- give higher magnifications than longer ones. Lenses supplied for the CU-5 include 17/4 Tominon, 50/4.5 Tominon, 75/4.5 Tominon and Ysaron, 105/4.5 Tominon and 127/4.5 Tominon and Ysaron. I think, could be mistaken, that the 127s are the longest lenses offered for the CU-5.

I can't speak to the 127 Ysaron, have a couple of 127 Tominons. They're surprisingly good at all distances on 2x3.

About the 3 inchers, they're tessar types. Not wide angles at all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 127 Ysarex is a tack sharp, slightly wide lens, that I find ideal for most of my 4x5 work. It has plenty of movement for archetecture. I robbed mine from a 110 Pathfinder that had seen better days, but the lens was imaculate, and the shutter accurate. I even have the Polaroid accessory kit for the lens, polarizer and dark yellow filters, and a lens hood.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick A View Post
    The 127 Ysarex is a tack sharp, slightly wide lens, that I find ideal for most of my 4x5 work. It has plenty of movement for archetecture. I robbed mine from a 110 Pathfinder that had seen better days, but the lens was imaculate, and the shutter accurate. I even have the Polaroid accessory kit for the lens, polarizer and dark yellow filters, and a lens hood.
    Rick, in Rodenstock parlance the Ysarex is a tessar type optimized for shooting distant subjects and the Ysaron is a tessar type optimized for enlarging (= shooting near subjects). They really aren't the same thing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thank you for clarifying that for me.
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks guys. I appreciate the info. Now I must go play around with it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin