Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,346   Online: 1065

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great find Trevor! That's got to be the cleanest Speed/Crown Graphic I've ever seen. Many of these cameras have had a hard life as press photographer's tools and it's a testament to their quality that so many are still in use.

I just picked up a '54 Crown Graphic in very good shape (not as nice as yours), but very easy to re-calibrate the rangefinder, clean the VF and lube the focusing rails. It's been great for some informal portrait photos and street shooting and always gets comments from people. I have the same flash unit and it works perfectly. I have a 127mm Ektar on another 4x5 camera and it is a very highly regarded lens, although it has a small image circle - so limited movement on 4x5.

We actually have a APUG group here in SD and had a few meetups last year, so hopefully we'll get another one going before summer arrives (check out APUG Groups > Regional).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Great find!
    Keep the poor thing out of that cardboard prison and let it finally make pictures, it's been waiting around too long

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow, a great deal. Nice camera, I have one like it and love it.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I guess the rangefinder and rangelite don't work correctly. Inside there's a small round spring that's supposed to hold the lever up against the installed cam but it came loose and is just sort of hanging there. I see the spring in the repair manual but it doesn't indicate how it's supposed to be installed, does anyone have any pointers on that?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    what figure and index?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    In this manual: http://www.southbristolviews.com/pic...vicemanual.pdf

Page 26 of the PDF (marked as Page 24)
    Figure 2 Graphic Viewfinder - Rangefinder, Index # 16
    Part number 34752 - Spring, rangefinder arm

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Take a look at pdf page 6 manual page 4 (service instructions) Parallex Lever section of fig 4. If it does not become apparent where the spring ends connect post a picture. Does the spring look like the IPB fig 2 index 16?, if not it may be broken.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That diagram doesn't show this spring, it only shows the one on top attached to the parallax lever. There's another spring on the inside of the camera that goes around the post attached to that same lever (the post is shown in dotted lines in that diagram) and the lower lever that is up against the "rangefinder arm" there.

This is a picture of the spring I'm talking about that has come loose:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SG Loose Spring.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I should add:

Its a round spring that goes around the post. One end is attached to the lower parallax lever and the other looks like it should hook onto something but it's just loose so the spring is also loose.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Spring-Rangefinder arm should connect the clip end to either the rangefinder arm or the parallax actuator. The parallax actuator should be secured to the shaft and operate the shaft. The plain end of Spring-Rangefinder arm should go between the shaft and the case or to the rear of the shaft and against the screw/washer to the immediate left of the parallax shaft.
    Spring-rangefinder arm appears to be deformed suggesting it was snagged when removing a cam at some point in time.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin