Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 75,800   Posts: 1,671,651   Online: 797

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Got it, thanks.

I was thinking of getting it a CLA anyway, I guess I'll see if I can get this fixed at the same time.

I'm new to Speeds, any recommendations on someone to do a CLA/repair?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Me.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterfinger View Post
    Me.
    Do you work on Graflex SLR's?
    When the chips are down,

The buffalo is empty!!!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Do you work on Graflex SLR's?
    Yes.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Trevor Whitaker View Post
    Got it, thanks.

I was thinking of getting it a CLA anyway, I guess I'll see if I can get this fixed at the same time.

I'm new to Speeds, any recommendations on someone to do a CLA/repair?
    Download the maintenance manual and do it yourself. It's fun easy and doesn't require any special tools. I rebuilt both of my Speeds over the winter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Shootar401 View Post
    Download the maintenance manual and do it yourself. It's fun easy and doesn't require any special tools. I rebuilt both of my Speeds over the winter.
    Working on the Speed's FP shutter is one thing, the leaf shutter is something else again. Better to let someone who knows what he is doing take care of that job.
    Michael Cienfuegos

If you don't want to stand behind our troops, please feel free to stand in front of them.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    The basic CLA is well covered in the service manual that was used to identify a problem in this thread.
    That first leaf shutter will be a bear especially a Compur which uses a coil tension spring for the delay timing. 1 gear tooth makes the difference between a smooth running, all speeds in tolerance shutter and one that only has some speeds in tolerance. It is extremely difficult to remove and clean the delay mechanism without releasing the coil tension spring requiring it to be reset which is not covered in any available service info.
    Then there's the Graphic Rangefinder. Some basic information is provided for the Pacemaker. There are adjustments and the spring addressed in previous post that are not covered. This is where one must figure out what correct should be and how to get the broken one you have back to correct.

No service instructions tell you the basic servicing techniques necessary to do the job at hand. Experience is a good teacher if you have the basic skills that need to be developed and refined. Taking a piece of equipment that has no service information and figuring it out from scratch is another challenge that many fail on. I succeed 95% of the time and only use my equipment or dead that no harm can be done to experiment on.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin