Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,843   Posts: 1,582,646   Online: 1059

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Graflex 4x5 Grafmatic questions...........

I have a project going and was wondering if this might be a solution. The project is a vintage Western Camera Corp. Cyclone No.5 falling plate camera. I want to convert it to use straight 4x5 sheet film and the answer to these two questions might help. I have never used a 4x5 Grafmatic film holder before so know very little about them, but do know they have 6 4x5 film septums in them and that's what I'm interested in. I think I could use those septums to help in the plate to film conversion. First question is "where can I buy just the 4x5 septums"? Second question is "what are they made out of"? It would be perfect if they were made out of steel, but aluminum would work also. I already have it setup to use 4x5 film, but it's a little crude and the septums would make it easier and more professional looking. JW

Shooter
    Large Format
    They're made of steel. Find them wherever you can, is the answer.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    What you probably want are film sheaths which were intended for using film in plate holders intended for glass plates. The septums in a grafmatic are a little different, and probably wouldn't fit a space meant for a 4x5 plate.
    Try p.m.'ing whiteymorange he's had some film sheaths in the past, and may still.

Shooter
    35mm

nuggets

When you ask about finding old camera parts it is the same as asking "where can I find some gold nuggets someone has laying around?" A least that is what it seems to mean to the people with the parts. IMO.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Well, I really didn't know if some company/business didn't still supply them, but it's now obvious I'll have to shake the bushes. The reason I wanted steel septums is that I plan on using rubberized flexible magnet sheets(like those used to stick advertising signs on car doors) glued to my old plate holders to bring the film plane inline with where the glass plate would be. Then I could have the septums loaded and just stick them on the glued magnet. Now that I know they are steel I will definitely be shaking the bushes. Oh, and I'm sure they will fit since I've already pulled the sheath's out of some Riteway/Fidelity film holders and am now using those glued to cardboard. Any leads to some septums for the Grafmatics would be greatly appreciated. JW

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You can also look for the 4x5 "bag mags" which were the forerunner to the grafmatic. They are only usable on the early graflex cameras so might be a little cheaper. Best of all they come with twelve septums rather than just the six in a grafmatic. They are thicker than the grafmatic septums but otherwise the same size (see the differences here: http://www.paulewins.com/blog/?page_id=52 ). Either type of septum can be found on ebay in replacement sets with a little patience and is usually cheaper than buying a compete grafmnatic or bag mag.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul ewins View Post
    You can also look for the 4x5 "bag mags" which were the forerunner to the grafmatic. They are only usable on the early graflex cameras so might be a little cheaper. Best of all they come with twelve septums rather than just the six in a grafmatic. They are thicker than the grafmatic septums but otherwise the same size (see the differences here: http://www.paulewins.com/blog/?page_id=52 ). Either type of septum can be found on ebay in replacement sets with a little patience and is usually cheaper than buying a compete grafmnatic or bag mag.
    Whoa, now that's the kind of tip I like! I never thought of the old "mag bags", but I need twelve septums anyway and that sounds like the way to go. Thanks a bunch! JW

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Magnets don't stick to them - if that's the question.

Shooter
    Large Format
    uh-oh. I might be wrong.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Definitely you need 5x4 film inserts, they do crop up time to time, I have quite a few in various sizes, however there are some variation and while the outside dimensions are standard some are thicker than others - designed for specific plate holders. Usually the thicker ones have a pattern or large ridges pressed into the back to give rigidity.

I'd need to check but I think the septums from the Grafmatic backs are ever so slightly too wide, I have 3 British Wray Grafmatic backs but they should be identical to the US ones (they were made under license like the Dallmeyer made Parkard shutters).

Ian

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin