Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,499   Posts: 1,571,582   Online: 1212

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Chinese Lens called IS 21cm f4.5. Anyone know anything about these?

I bought this lens at last years Photographica in London but have just got round to using it. It came in a Copal 3S shutter and I assume it is a Tessar design. It covers 5x7 and is very sharp stopped down at f11 and beyond. I have been able to find out very little (nothing of use) about the manufacturer, when it was made or what/who it was made for. I believe it to be of Chinese origin but that's about all I know. It seems odd that that it should be in such a large shutter. I would expect a Copal 1 at this focal length and I did in fact buy this for its mint condition shutter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    I bought this lens at last years Photographica in London but have just got round to using it. It came in a Copal 3S shutter and I assume it is a Tessar design. It covers 5x7 and is very sharp stopped down at f11 and beyond. I have been able to find out very little (nothing of use) about the manufacturer, when it was made or what/who it was made for. I believe it to be of Chinese origin but that's about all I know. It seems odd that that it should be in such a large shutter. I would expect a Copal 1 at this focal length and I did in fact buy this for its mint condition shutter.
    A #1 can be too small for a 210/4.5, which may need an aperture as large as 47 mm. Remember, the #1 opens only to 30 mm. Perhaps your expectations were formed by 210/5.6s, many of which are in #1s.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Let's see a photo of the engravings on the lens and see if anyone has any idea.
    - Derek
    [ Insert meaningless camera listing here ]

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    every few years someone posts a lens
    made in china that seems
    like a schneider knock-off
    but is schneider lens made in china
    for the far east market ...
    (they usually say schneider, or made for schneider or something on them )
    maybe its one of these ?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    It sounds like the lens that was doing the rounds of the camera fairs, if so I nearly bought it a couple of times, was it like new in it's original box ?

Probably imported by someone like MrCad originally I seem to remember some adverts, the lens I looked at looked great, even if not the same lens. Have fun.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    You could well be right about this lens doing the rounds of the camera fairs Ian. It came in a light brown box with a metal catch and a red plush interior.It was in extremely nice condition and looked unused. See Pics. I have shown the lens with close ups of the sticker and inscriptions on front and back caps.
    It shows 4 strong reflections in the front cell set and 3 reflections in the rear set, 2 of which are strong and 1 of which is weak. Would you expect this to be the characteristic reflections from a Tessar copy Dan? I associate lenses around this focal length with an f4.5 aperture with Tessars.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCF0308.jpg   DSCF0311.jpg   DSCF0316.jpg   DSCF0320.jpg   DSCF0323.jpg  

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What does the text on top at that sticker say? It seems latin characters.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Indistinct but through a loupe I think it says BEIJING COS CHANG CHIPIN. The last word is almost illegible so my best guess only.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    That "IS" makes me think of the canadian Iston brand (imported chinese field cameras and lenses).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve S View Post
    It shows 4 strong reflections in the front cell set and 3 reflections in the rear set, 2 of which are strong and 1 of which is weak. Would you expect this to be the characteristic reflections from a Tessar copy Dan? I associate lenses around this focal length with an f4.5 aperture with Tessars.
    It reflects like a tessar type.

I'm not sure its safe to assume that 210/4.5ers are all tessar types, but many are.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin