Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 72,532   Posts: 1,598,669   Online: 739

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ntenny View Post
    That is indeed a lovely camera. I didn't know there was an earlier incarnation of the 110 designation---I remember the tiny little cartridges from the 1970s.

Where is the red window? I guess that would affect the feasibility of 120. Worst case, cover the window and use it as a 5x4 one-shot. (It's easy enough for you, but in the States we would have to get 4x5 film and turn it sideways. :-)

-NT
    There's a big red window on the back, it's central but would it work for say 6x12 I'd have to try it.

Joking apart the 5x4 or 4x5 issue affects some camera design, some shoot the 5" across the width, others over the length. 110 film shoots one way 109 the other and I've not had a chance to really look into it yet.

Whatever I do I won't compromise this camera by a bodged attempt at modification - Mickey Mouse/McGuiver/Rube Goldberg/Heath Robinson or whatever , I'm already about to build a 6x17/5x4 camera. Just be nice to use as it is.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    tape off the red window and do one-offs with 4 by 5 sheet film. If you take a changing bag with you it would be very possible and not that complicated -- certainly less hassle than cobbing together a roll of film of some sort.

if you must, perhaps there are old stocks of aerial camera film around? Those things shot 4 by 5 on rolls, although I forget which way they ran so the 5 inch side may be on the wrong side.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The best way would be to use 5" aerial film and DIY it into rollfilm apt for that camera.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    HiIan
    you need 30m of Hp5+ on this years ULF.
    Noel

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The problem with rolls of aerial film is, how would he know how far to advance between frames? DIY backing paper would be possible but sounds like a big pain in the neck.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    You could make a practice roll from some other material, mark the back in 4.5 inch rectangles, and see how many times you have to wind it in the camera to advance far enough to avoid overlap. Keep a count of how many winds you have to make for each frame. This would be easier than going the backing paper route I would think.

Kent in SD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If that is your wife's choice of camera ....

Clearly you made a good choice of wife
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Backing paper may not be that big of a deal-- just get TWO rolls of 616 or 116 film, and overlap the papers all along their length to the correct width, and tape together with the thinnest tape you can find. Then mark your home-made backing paper correctly for the red window on the camera and you are set. Because of the double thickness of backing paper you might lose a shot or two from what you'd get from a proper roll of 110, but so what? You've still got a 4x5 camera that fits in the map pocket of your motorcycle jacket, or the front pocket of your bib overalls. Way cool.

--nosmok

Shooter
    35mm RF
    a good craft shop or google should be able toget you a roll of paper you would need to make a splitter to get it to exact side or use scissors and ruler.
    Paper is easier than film.
    you would need paper as the film run probably would not have beed designed like a 220 cameras.
    Ian also needs spools... wood dowelling cores etc.
    a ULF run is the big problem or other large roll and splitter in dark room.
    Or shelf queen.
    Does his wife have sisters?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It's a shame that these larger roll film formats went the way of the dodo, the cameras seem so much more compact compared to modern 5x4 cameras.
    "Art is is a picture of some dude I never met smoking under a lamppost at 6400 ISO and in BW."

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin