Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,555   Posts: 1,545,021   Online: 838

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Wife's choice of LF camera

Today at a Flea market my wife took a shine to an old roll0film folder, it's an "Alliance Roll-film Camera Co. Ltd" camera and took 110 size roll film. This size roll film was introduced in 1898 and the negative frame size is 5"x4"

The Beck lens is in excellent condition and the pneumatic shutter works perfectly at all speeds, even 1 second is smooth and accurate, the bellows like new, not bad for a camera made somewhere between 1898 and 1904 when the Company was wound up, it was connected to Houghtons (later Houghton Butcher, Ensign etc).

Only fly in the ointment is my wife would like me to use it Only person I know who would make and coat film this size is Denise Ross (TheLightFarm). backing paper might be an issue and I've only one spool at present. I guess I could slit some old Aerial film and make a new spool, I've no idea yet how long a roll of 110 film was.

Ian

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    When my sister saw my Box Tengor 54/2 from 1928 , she said this camera was 10 000 years old with today standarts , with 30 years difference , your camera looks newer than mine also
    Can you please ask easier questions ? One Apug members request .

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hack together a spool and mask for the film gate that would allow you to shoot 6x9, perhaps?
    See my work at my website CHRISTOPHER LANGE PHOTOGRAPHY

or my snaps at my blog MINIMUM DENSITY
    --
    If you don't have it, then you don't have it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It sure is a beauty and has obviously been well cared for. I think Chris has a good idea. You wouldn't need to be limited to 6x9. You could always try to get the full 5" on the 120 negs w/ the right mask, although figuring out where to stop and start the next frame would be the harder part. If you want to enlarge the photos then obviously 6x9 is the better way to go.

How about using paper negs for 4x5? I'd love to see some shots from it.

Shooter
    35mm

FANtastic...

...camera. It begs to be used. Can you "Mickey Mouse" it to use 4x5 (as we say in the States) inch single sheet film? Is it possible you can use 120 film in it? You would not get all of the field of view, of course. You must wear a red tie or ascot when you use the camera of course.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That is indeed a lovely camera. I didn't know there was an earlier incarnation of the 110 designation---I remember the tiny little cartridges from the 1970s.

Where is the red window? I guess that would affect the feasibility of 120. Worst case, cover the window and use it as a 5x4 one-shot. (It's easy enough for you, but in the States we would have to get 4x5 film and turn it sideways. :-)

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    If you can't "Mickey Mouse" it to use 120 film, then maybe you can be "Macguiver" it for 120.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ... but whatever you do, please don't "Rube Goldberg" it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    American-to-English Translation Service:

"Mickey Mouse" => "bodge"
    "Macguiver" => "MacGyver"
    "Rube Goldberg" => "Heath Robinson"

Bilingual since too long ago to want to reveal my age and decrepitude,

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Lange View Post
    Hack together a spool and mask for the film gate that would allow you to shoot 6x9, perhaps?
    6x12 maybe I do shoot 6x17 and that camera allows 6x12, and 6x15 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by snapguy View Post
    ...camera. It begs to be used. Can you "Mickey Mouse" it to use 4x5 (as we say in the States) inch single sheet film? Is it possible you can use 120 film in it? You would not get all of the field of view, of course. You must wear a red tie or ascot when you use the camera of course.
    If my wife didn't want to actually display the camera (in Turkey) I'd probably make a plate holder back for it or just use the lens.shutter on one of my LF cameras.

The 6x12 option would be most fun and relatively easy, but I do have some wide Aerial film on a roll so home made backing paper's needed. I could make my own film emulsion (I've a few years experience) if needed but that's long term.

Ian

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin