Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,522   Posts: 1,543,801   Online: 767

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    4x5 Format

Sekonic L-358 Meter vs. Digital Camera For 4x5 Metering...Tonights Observations

Using my Crown Graphic 4x5 and a polaroid 405 back, I wanted to play around with some Fuji Instant color film tonight, so I set up a scene on the kitchen table. I used my Pentax digital camera as a meter and decided on an exposure (8 sec @ f16) to set on my Crown. I took the shot and the polaroid print was pretty much exactly as I was hoping it would be. It was a very good print. So then I decided to meter the same scene with my Sekonic L-358 just to see if it agreed with the digital camera...It did not. It was telling me 4 sec @ f16, which is half the exposure time. Obviously the polaroid print would not have been as good. I bought the meter a while back but haven't used it much. But one other time I compared the readings with these two devices and they didn't agree then either. Maybe I can't trust the meter. Or maybe something isn't right about it. I took reflected light measurements.

Any thoughts on why there was so much difference?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Did you double check the settings on the sekonic?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I know it seems like a dumb question but i had the iso reset on me on a sekonic after it turned off.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pdjr1991 View Post
    I know it seems like a dumb question but i had the iso reset on me on a sekonic after it turned off.
    It has the capability to set 2 iso's. I have iso1 set at 400 and iso2 set at 100. The 100 reading is what I needed for the film I was using.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very possibly the field of view of the meter.
    "Far more critical than what we know or do not know is what we do not want to know." - Eric Hoffer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You can trust the meter once you know what and how it is reading light, and what to do about differences.
    Digital cameras, among so many others (including film cameras), use multi-pattern/matrix/evaluative and calibrated to a scale of optimal exposure for the method (digital) — at any time these meters are reading a great amount from the scene, more often than not with consummate precision. But making a reading with a digital camera and then to expect a hand-held meter to match the reading, well, the 'how and why' is because of the method being used. An simple incident reading is not the same as what the camera is reading, which is looking at several elements (light tones, dark tones, background light, spectral light, hot spots etc.) of your set up to strike an effective balance, as opposed to an overall averaged incident reading you took with the Sekonic.
    .::Gary Rowan Higgins

A comfort zone is a wonderful place. But nothing ever grows there.
    —Anon.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    ^^^+1.
    "The real work was thinking, just thinking." - Charles Chaplin

Shooter
    Multi Format
    too many unknowns to answer your question --- just the diff between reflective and incident is a consideration. What the human eye/mind finds pleasing is another unknown.

did you take a second shot at 4 seconds and compare?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post
    You can trust the meter once you know what and how it is reading light, and what to do about differences.
    Digital cameras, among so many others (including film cameras), use multi-pattern/matrix/evaluative and calibrated to a scale of optimal exposure for the method (digital) — at any time these meters are reading a great amount from the scene, more often than not with consummate precision. But making a reading with a digital camera and then to expect a hand-held meter to match the reading, well, the 'how and why' is because of the method being used. An simple incident reading is not the same as what the camera is reading, which is looking at several elements (light tones, dark tones, background light, spectral light, hot spots etc.) of your set up to strike an effective balance, as opposed to an overall averaged incident reading you took with the Sekonic.
    Whats a good method of learning what the meter is reading?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Two different meters with fundamentally different design criteria. They should agree looking at something like a smooth even toned wall. Anything else and the differences will be more apparent. They are probably both right - they are just answering slightly different questions.
    I feel, therefore I photograph.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin