Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,288   Posts: 1,535,362   Online: 767

Shooter
    Multi Format

Recessed lens board Nagaoka?

I've got a new lens for my Nagaoka 4x5, a 90mm caltar. If I want movement with the lens would I need to find a recessed lens board or can I still get movement with a regular board? I haven't been able to find a nagaoka recessed board online but there's a camera show this weekend so I'm hoping to try my luck there. If I can't find a Nagaoka board which is 92 x 92mm would it be possible I buy a Linhoff and sand or cut down the edges?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    It may be possible to modify a Linhof/Wista lens board to suit - I have a Shen Hao in front of me which measures a nominal 96x99mm, which is very similar to the Technica 5x4 listed here: http://www.skgrimes.com/products/lens-boards/technika - The recessed "tub" measures 83.7mm Dia and has a 1mm thick "lip" 87.6mm Dia to form the light trap.

As long as the front stand on your Nogaoka has a hole of ~84mm and a slight recess of ~88mm Dia, it might be possible to file a Linhof type board down to fit. Most of these boards are made from a die-cast aluminium alloy so should be fairly easy to file down (wouldn't bother with sandpaper).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You shouldn't need a recessed board for a 90mm on a Nagaoka and you could easily make a lens board from wood or aluminium. I do this all the time for various cameras.

If you want a recessed board then I'd look for a Cambo, Sinar or similar flat aluminium recessed board and cut it down to size. I did this a few years ago for my Wista.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format
    What Ian said. I've seen a few variations of the 4x5 Nagaoka, and none of them needs a recessed board to allow movements with a 90.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by paul_c5x4 View Post
    It may be possible to modify a Linhof/Wista lens board to suit - I have a Shen Hao in front of me which measures a nominal 96x99mm, which is very similar to the Technica 5x4 listed here: http://www.skgrimes.com/products/lens-boards/technika - The recessed "tub" measures 83.7mm Dia and has a 1mm thick "lip" 87.6mm Dia to form the light trap.

As long as the front stand on your Nogaoka has a hole of ~84mm and a slight recess of ~88mm Dia, it might be possible to file a Linhof type board down to fit. Most of these boards are made from a die-cast aluminium alloy so should be fairly easy to file down (wouldn't bother with sandpaper).
    Awesome, thanks for info Paul!

I think I'm going to pick up a regular lens board first, as the other guys suggested and see if that works out. But definitely good to have your this info as well just in case.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin