Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,827   Posts: 1,582,081   Online: 915

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Lack of Contrast from Omega View 4x5?

Hey guys,

I own a Omega View 4x5 view camera. That last time I shot with it, the negs lacked contrast. Does anyone else have an issue with this brand of view camera? Is there something I could check? I develop as per Ilford devloping time instructions. I was thinking of taking it with me on big trip next month.

Todd

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan
    it's not the camera... the camera is just a dark box.-- it is most probably the subject or your developing.
    * Just because your eyes are closed, doesn't mean the lights in the darkroom are off. *
    * When the film you put in the camera is worth more than the camera you put the film in... *
    * When I started using 8x10, it amazed me how many shots were close to the car. *

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You should check the lens and make sure it's clear. But, other than that any contrast problem with your negatives will be a factor of exposure and development time, especially development time.
    Ilford's or any other manufacturer's times are really starting points, and you can and should adjust depending on your requirements and testing. So if your negs lack contrast, but have sufficient shadow detail, then increasing the development time or agitation, or both should take care of things.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Lots of things to check. In the camera check for light leaks. If the lens is not new, then it may suffer from fogged surfaces. If those things are correct then look at processing related issues like errors in temp measurement, over-dilute developer, wrong time, old chemistry. The list is quite extensive. If all checks out ok, then increase development by 25% for you next two sheets.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Most likely some problem with film and/or processing. The only equipment based problem you may encounter is lens flare, solved by shading the lens (use the withdrawn darkslide) or a hood.

It's always worth checking your camera for light leaks.

I generally develop Ilford film with s stand development process using an Extol/RO9 mixture for an hour. This produces lots of contrast.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Light leaks.. Maybe Bellows has pin holes. I'll check with a flash light. I should get a pin sharp images with this camera.

Todd

Shooter
    Multi Format
    A couple more questions.

- What lens are you using? What is your exposure?
    - What film and developer?
    Canadian Correspondent for the Film Photography Podcast
    A bi-monthly podcast for people who love to shoot film!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    What film and developer?

This I can answer right away.. Ilford Delta 100 and D-76 dev 68 12 min. Lens details I'll get tonight. Exposure is determind on subject matter with light meter.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddB View Post
    What film and developer?

This I can answer right away.. Ilford Delta 100 and D-76 dev 68 12 min. Lens details I'll get tonight. Exposure is determind on subject matter with light meter.
    Are you using D76 at any dilution ratio?

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    no.. I use the same 1+1 ratio for all my Ilford. This is only camera I have issues with sharpness and contrast. Yes.. I forgot to mention sharpness.

Todd

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin