Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,908   Posts: 1,584,615   Online: 860

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format

Shooter
    Multi Format
    “A mule will labor ten years willingly and patiently for you, for the privilege of kicking you once. ”

~William Faulkner

Shooter
    Multi Format
    My Sinar is marketed to fit into a briefcase. Heh.

But I lug it around in a pelican case with wheels. And there is an outfit around that sells backpack harnesses to go onto the case. Not for me. But then again, I've never lugged my Sinar anywhere except back and forth between my house and my studio.

But I typically put my Calumet or Toyo View on the end of my tripod, spare shirt around tripod as shoulder padding, and huck the whole thing over my shoulder.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    You might find this thread helpful on the LF Forum. My four year old post is #12.
    I still use the same baby jogger with 20" wheels and 100# capacity for 8x10 or 7x17 on trails. I would not recommend it for mountain climbing, but the at age 74 I don’t do a lot of mountain climbing.

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ghlight=Jogger

John
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    For a monorail camera the Sinar F is quite compact. I gave seminars for Sinar but I never liked their official brief case for the F because you had to take the camera apart.

You can fold the camera and drop it into a backpack which is what I did in the field.

Steps:

1. Move the two standards to the ends of the 12" rail.
    2. Loosen the bellows from the rear standard. Leave it attached to the front standard.
    3. Fold the rear standard down by loosening the tilt knob. Once it is resting just above the rail tighten the knob.
    4. Fold the front standard down and compress the bellows against the rear standard and ground glass back. Lock it down with the tilt knob.

I always removed the lens and stored it.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Here's an idea:
    http://www.mountainsports.com/msmain...&Detail=081193
    Make a carry box for the camera with partitions to organize the necessary items, then strap it to the shelf of this pack frame, together with the tripod, using quick-release straps.

Years ago, when I was doing a lot of backpacking, I had one of the original Kelty pack frames which I modified by hanging a home-made box for my 4x5 Sinar Norma on the "roll bar" at the top of the frame. I used the same procedure as Rick Rosen to collapse the camera for stowing in the box, together with extra lenses / holders / etc. During the first field test, a 10-day trip with much elevation gain, I learned that it was a very comfortable load (~80 lbs), but it was very top heavy when used for one-day excursions from base camp in which the pack bag was nearly empty and the camera box was at the top. At one point I was forced into a sitting position and the high load caused me to lay back, and I found myself pinned down like a turtle on its back and had to release the waist strap to get out of it, stand up and put it back on. Kinda felt silly. Never used it again and had to come up with a different carrying method that worked well but is not an option for you. The link above, using the shelf for the box would solve that problem. It'd also be a good idea to leave the rail clamp attached to the tripod for a faster setup.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin