Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,487   Posts: 1,571,318   Online: 846

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Pin holes! Damn.

Hey guys,

remember a while back I was complaining about my omega view having issues with contrast? Well I put in a flash light in the bellows, and I few pin holes were found on the four corners. That would cause the contrast issue? It was fogging my film. What I'm doing is using gaffers tape and taping the little corners to seal them up. Think will work?

todd

Shooter
    Large Format
    Some people tape the corners and some use liquid electrical tape on the pin holes. If you are getting pin holes in the bellows it means the bellows are wearing out and more will probably pop up later so you may think about investing in a new bellows if you don't want to chase pin holes.

If you are not doing so all ready, throw your dark cloth over your bellows before you release the shutter so even if you have pin holes hopefully you won't get fogging. I was told to get in the habit of doing this even if using a new bellows.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    gaffers tape is too stiff. I use matte black fabric paint (Tulip brand from Michaels or Joanne's). Paint it on wi a little brush (20 for a dollar or two at harbor freight). Might need two or three coats, but even that doesn't impact folding them up.

Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    if you have a dead changing bag, or maybe just some really tight weave black cloth, glue that over the pinholes on the inside of the bellows -- if the material is thin enough it will follow the folds and seal up the pinholes.

Shooter
    35mm

pp

A dash of Positive Paranoia goes a long way in this biz.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have used the Tulip washable fabric paint with good results but Golden Heavy Body Artist paint works better. Use carbon black http://www.goldenpaints.com//product....php?K=0001040 . It can be diluted with water up to 50% and is very durable. I use it to coat the shutter curtain in Large Format SLR's. Paint the inside of the bellows with them fully extended.
    The gaffers tape will dry out after a few months and leave a residue behind.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Yea the fabric paint is useful for bellows and shutter curtains even metal ones.

Apply both sides to holes leave for 24 hours before any flex or movement.

Save some for rude things on cotton top like 'DSLRs stink'

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I've had success with the patch kit sold by Bostick & Sullivan in New Mexico,
    http://www.bostick-sullivan.com/cart/home.php?cat=16

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    If the bellows is fabric lined, I'd use liquid black artist's acrylic paint, well scrubbed into the fabric with an old soft toothbrush. Leave the bellows extended until the paint is thoroughly dry.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks guys, off to Joann's to get fabric paint. I like that better than gaffers tape. I just need to work for two weeks. Plan on getting bellows replaced this summer.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin