Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,701   Posts: 1,548,419   Online: 1034

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Not having a Graphic and a 300 Symmar in front of me, I cannot be certain - but I sincerely doubt you'd get that lens on the front standard of a speed, even with adapters. Plus, the bellows are too short.
    I'd get the 300 Symmar, if you want a longer- but not really long lens - get a 420, 16 1/2" Artars are fairly reasonably priced but will not give you tons of movement on 8x10.I use one for portraits and such on 8x10. The Symmar will give you all the movements you're likely to need (for general use) on 8x10.
    As for Dagors, they cover quite a bit if you are contact printing - their legendary coverage is just that, a legend; if you are enlarging negatives they are a 70 degree lens just like the Symmars. A 12" Dagor is small and light, a 300 Symmar is big and heavy - and a 360 Symmar is a monster. The Deardorff V8 is lovely to use, very intuitive.
    I don't think the Graflex has the bellows for it either. My Crown has some pretty serious bellows extension going on with just my 210 Symmar.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Both are normal lenses. You are looking at 150mm and 180mm equivalents on 4x5 or 45mm and 55mm equivalents on a 35mm camera or full frame DSLR. The 210 you are using would be like the 420 that E. suggests.

Yousuf Karsh used a 14" (360mm) and I read somewhere that Richard Avedon used a 360mm Schneider on his American West portraits. You can check them out if you want examples.

I own a 14" Commercial Ektar but I have also tried a 300mm lens. There isn't a lot of difference in focal length.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Both are normal lenses. You are looking at 150mm and 180mm equivalents on 4x5 or 45mm and 55mm equivalents on a 35mm camera or full frame DSLR. The 210 you are using would be like the 420 that E. suggests.

Yousuf Karsh used a 14" (360mm) and I read somewhere that Richard Avedon used a 360mm Schneider on his American West portraits. You can check them out if you want examples.

I own a 14" Commercial Ektar but I have also tried a 300mm lens. There isn't a lot of difference in focal length.
    Actually if I had to have an 8x10 camera and one lens, I'd go for the 360/14" as long as the camera would tolerate it. Miles of coverage, a nice "drawing" of views, useful for head&shoulders and larger portraits... I think Karsh had a Commercial Ektar which is a superb lens (Tessar type) but has less coverage than the symmetrisch types.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yeah, Karsh mainly used a 14" Kodak Commercial Ektar (I accidently left that out of my post). I'm a big fan of Karsh so of course I wanted one.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hey guys!

Just to let you know: I went to the shop and comparred both lenses. The shape of the 360mm and the gut feeling made the decision for me... the 300mm was kinda worn heavily...
    Really looking forward to go out shooting with it now!

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    It was one of those decisions where you can't go wrong either way. Enjoy your new lens. Enjoy 8x10.

John
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Shooter
    Large Format
    John is right that you couldn't go wrong with either focal length. Have fun shooting your new lens!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    John is right that you couldn't go wrong with either focal length. Have fun shooting your new lens!
    Why on earth would he want to do that??

Shooter
    Large Format
    Some people put all kinds of things in a microwave to see what will happen, and some people shoot things just to see how they blow apart. I like whacking all these lizards that crawl on the side of my house with a stick. And I go after the carpenter bees with a badminton racket. Although there are more of them than there are of me, and they bore holes in my house faster than I can knock them out of the air.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E. von Hoegh View Post
    Why on earth would he want to do that??
    You know what I mean!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin