Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,697   Posts: 1,549,074   Online: 1082

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Toyo 45aii pricing question

Hi all- buying a 4x5 kit, and have the chance to buy a Toyo 45aii with 2 nikon lenses, loupe, and 15 film holders all mint for $1350 used. Compared to medium format, this is a cheap price, but I am wondering your thoughts as a price for a large format kit. Your input is appreciated.
    Thanks!!!
    www.kentchamness.com

Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion. - Jack Kerouac

Mamiya 7, Mamiya 645af, Nikon F3, Minolta XD-11, Nikon D600

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Depends on what "two Nikon" lenses but I'm guessing it's a good deal as nikons are generally newer. And the mark 2 toyo is higher in price though that's market and perceived value because it's only knobs that are different than the mark 1 version.

You could PROBABLY get something a bit cheaper but you would have to scramble all the parts together rather than buying it as a complete kit.

So I think it's probably a decent deal.

But depends on the Nikon lensed
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As others have said, it depends on the lenses. I will however say it would be really hard to get hurt too bad on this if you decided it wasn't for you and decided to sell. You are also going to need a good meter, tripod, dark cloth and some sort of case to carry and store it in. You may also decide you need another lens. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Large Format
    Yeah, if one of the lenses is a Nikkor-SW 90mm f/4.5, Nikkor-M 200mm or Nikon-M 300mm it could be a pretty good deal!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Hi all- thanks for the responses. The nikon lenses are not spectacular, but very solid. W210 & sw75 lenses are in the kit- both nikkor. I'm gonna go for it. Thanks for the advice.
    www.kentchamness.com

Great things are not accomplished by those who yield to trends and fads and popular opinion. - Jack Kerouac

Mamiya 7, Mamiya 645af, Nikon F3, Minolta XD-11, Nikon D600

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wouldn't call the Nikkor SW 'not spectacular'. It's a 106-degree, 200mm IC, similar to a Fujinon SWD or Super-Angulon / Grandagon N f/5.6, they're worth around $200-500 by themselves in good nick. Plus the Nikkor is an f/4.5, bit brighter for easier focussing. (I haven't used a Nikkor, but if it's anthing like my Fujinon SWD 90, it's great).
    The 210 may not be an APO or anything, but it'll almost cover 8x10, you'll never be able to shift enough to hit its limits on 4x5. Can be around $2-300 on its own.
    Then add in the camera, I've never seen a nice field-cam go for much less than $500, let alone a newer model.

All up, as long as it all works, bargain.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Large Format
    If you don't mind the weight, the Toyo Aii is an excellent camera. A good buddy of mine owns the earlier Toyo A.

I bought a Nikkor-SW 75mm just a few years ago when I was starting out in LF. It was an excellent lens, sharp and contrasty. Ultimately, I found 75mm a little too wide for my taste so I sold it. I paid right at $400.00 including shipping and sold it for about $380.00 on Ebay. I lost 20 bucks but I had it for a little while and considered it a cheap rental fee. At least now I know I prefer a 90mm!

Shooter
    Large Format
    a really good deal and price, too, imo

good luck

andrew

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    that'sabout what I paid for the camera new when it was new.It's my favorite 4x5.some folks claim that the adjustments are limited but they outperform what the lenses can deal with. I hope you have much fun with 4x5.It's real photography,slowing you down to make real art.all the best
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    As long as everything is working and in decent shape it sounds fine.
    Mark Barendt, Ignacio, CO

"We do not see things the way they are. We see things the way we are." Anaïs Nin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin