Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,911   Posts: 1,556,245   Online: 1070

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format

Converting a graflex back to graflok

There are many threads on this subject but they are old, can anyone help me with pictures of the adapters ? or any drawings ? I am lost as to how the braflok back fits as it is larger than the standard graflex back. Any help is and will be much appreciated.

Jeff

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    What format Graflex to what format Graflok?

Shooter
    Large Format
    4x5 to 4x5 right now, possibly a 3x4x to 4x5 in the near future

Shooter
    Large Format
    I do not want to glue it as I have heard of being done, I want to screw it on like most people have mentioned

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Remove the Graflex back by removing the 4 oval head screws on the camera sides and the 8 flat head screws on the camera back plate.
    Some bodies require the two rear screws on the wind plate to be loosened 1/2 to 1 turn for the back to come off.
    Pull the back off the camera by pulling straight out from the body.

Fixed Back Graflex:
    Remove the slider and fixed bar blocks from the back frame by removing the two screws along the long edge of the frame of each block then remove the two screws from each block from the camera side of the camera back. There should be small hole in the felt to access the screws otherwise pull the felt back to expose them.
    Cut a mount board from 1/4 baltic birch plywood or similar material to match the outside perimeter of the Graflok then grove one side to fit the Graflex back frame so that the Graflok is centered onto the Graflex frame.
    Bolt the Graflok to the adapter then attach it to the Graflex frame with screws then attach the frame to the camera body as it was originally.
    Adjust the view ground glass to match the graflok ground glass. The view ground glass should have 1/8 to 3/16 inch adjustment range with its existing ground glass frame.

Revolving Back Graflex:
    Remove the revolving ring retaining screws and separate the the two sections of the back.
    Make an adapter plate from 1/4 inch thick Baltic birch plywood or similar material to fit the graflok back. Attach the graflok frame to the adapter. Attach the adapter to the body half of the Graflex frame then attach it to the camera as it was originally.
    Adjust the view ground glass to match the graflok ground glass.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Shutterfinger, thank you that helps me out and I also have some others that messaged me as well. I do have a quetion to anyone who has done this. Why do some cameras I have seen not have the Graflok back stick out past the sides of the camera ? The Graflok back is larger than the Graflex back. Are they being machined down ?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Does anyone have any pictures of their modifications they can post or email me ?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Here are pictures of a Revolving Graflex Back fully disassembled. The back framework is .029 inch brass and the film holder frame is .033 brass. The film holder retainer bar blocks as well as the felt from the film holder seating area have to be removed to access the revolving ring screws.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back 1.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	116.9 KB 
ID:	89616 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	back 2.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	107.1 KB 
ID:	89617
    Picture 1 front view, picture 2 back view.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Bert Sanders at www.graflex.org built my Graflock adapter.
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    On my Pacemaker I just unscrewed the spring back and replaced it with the Graflock. Same size, same holes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin