Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,487   Posts: 1,571,308   Online: 743

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Ansel Adams Arca Swiss up for auction

"Photography, like surfing, is an infinite process, a constantly evolving exploration of life."
    Aaron Chang

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Thanks!

But what I really want is a can of that Ansel Adams coffee...

Shooter
    35mm

Leica

I am more interested in the Leicas but probably can't even afford to bid on the light meter.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    He should put it up for sale in the APUG classifieds. Then it could go to someone who would appreciate it. And 3% would go to Sean.

I win it? Heck, I'm loading it up the following weekend and heading out to the Wheatland Inn in Colfax for a week of landscapes in The Palouse region of southeastern Washington state.

Cameras in glass cases are for sissies...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    $300,000. I find that hard to believe. It will be interesting to see the actual selling price.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by ChuckP View Post
    $300,000. I find that hard to believe. It will be interesting to see the actual selling price.
    What would the same outfit not owned by AA cost?

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Found a coffee can on eBay with a $200 starting bid... That's much more reasonable.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Just posted this on the Large Format forum so I may as well get some more milage out of it:

I think the time frame given, "...about 1964 until 1968", for Adams's use of this camera is not accurate. From 1964 to 1967, with Liliane De Cock as his assistant, Adams worked on photographing the University of California system for that institution's centennial in 1968. Some of this work was published in the book _Fiat Lux_. Included as "Principal Technical Data" in this publication is a list of cameras and lenses used. Cameras used were a 5 X 7 Sinar with a 4 X 5 reducing back, a Hasselblad 500C, a Hasselblad Super-Wide and a Zeiss Ikon Contarex. With the Sinar he used 5 X 7 sheet film as well as 4 X 5, including 55P/N.
    I have notes from a Fall 1972 workshop I went to in Yosemite where Adams said that he had changed from the 5 X 7 Sinar to the lighter Arca Swiss which wasn't as sturdy as the Sinar but was sturdy enough and also didn't use base tilts.

By 1979 he had a 4 X 5 Horseman, the mono-rail one with the "L" shaped standards. When he appeared on the cover of the September 3, 1979 issue of Time magazine with this camera I'm sure Horseman and Calumet, the U.S. distributer at the time, were tickled pink.

There were two rather different books published with the title _Fiat Lux_. The first, published in 1967, was a rather larger book with considerable text by Nancy Newhall. The second was published in 1990 by UC Irvine on the occasion of a traveling exhibition of photographs from this body of work. Both books have the same "Principal Technical Data".
    David
    Last edited by David Lindquist; 06-29-2014 at 06:21 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Formating

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Love that camera, I wish I had $300.000.

Jeff

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm of the learned opinion that the Estate of Adams is trading on his name and long history rather than the actual worth of the equipment being auctioned. A figure of $300,000+ is quite extravagant, even for old Leica cameras with some inherent value. An old Arca Swiss forby sold commonly on the second hand market would fetch around $500 to $700 with maybe two high quality lenses of equivalent vintage. I don't see how Adams' Arca Swiss is anything particularly special besides having been used by him alongside a number of other LF equipment.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin