Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,937   Posts: 1,585,636   Online: 777

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ziyanglai View Post
    Haha.. Ken Rockwell(love him or hate him I don't care) says that the camera attracts too much attention and makes it hard for him to focus on creating images in his review.
    Before I bought my first digital camera (Nikon D200) I did some research on digital cameras and found Ken's site. Ken's review on the Tachihara and large format photography got me so interested that I bought a used Cambo SC monorail. I was soon hooked and bought a new Tachihara.

I have been asked if I restored the antique camera myself. They looked surprised when I told them that I bought the Tachihara new. They talk about the beautiful Cherry wood and (faux) brass fittings. They want to look under my dark cloth and then ask why everything is upside down, etc. etc. etc. That little 4x5 got more attention than my 8x10 Wehman does.

One more thing about Ken Rockwell. I get a kick out of him but I know some people hate him. Love him or hate him, you would be surprised at how many people got started in large format because of him and his website.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    heh, I've also been asked about my "antique" or sometimes my "ancient" camera, and that's a Toyo 45G, less than 15 years old, and all metal, no wood on it.
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I would to score one of those beauty's. Just stunning.

Todd

ziyanglai
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    They talk about the beautiful Cherry wood and (faux) brass fittings. They want to look under my dark cloth and then ask why everything is upside down, etc. etc. etc.

One more thing about Ken Rockwell. I get a kick out of him but I know some people hate him. Love him or hate him, you would be surprised at how many people got started in large format because of him and his website.
    Does the "shine" wear out over time? I haven't been using view cameras much in popular tourists spots, so I really haven't been asked much about how the camera/film works.

I actually started shooting with medium format after seeing his MF page, I was amazed by how large and how much detail was in a 6x9 negative/ slide (I started out MF with a Franka Bonafix 6x9 folding camera) that I immediately bought a 4x5 camera after only shooting 2 rolls of MF!

Just my honest opinion, his site, especially all the articles that talk about film, are great. I don't see why people hate him so much. If you disagree with something that he says, then don't follow it. There's no need to rave about it on the Internet..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ziyanglai View Post
    Does the "shine" wear out over time? I haven't been using view cameras much in popular tourists spots, so I really haven't been asked much about how the camera/film works.

I actually started shooting with medium format after seeing his MF page, I was amazed by how large and how much detail was in a 6x9 negative/ slide (I started out MF with a Franka Bonafix 6x9 folding camera) that I immediately bought a 4x5 camera after only shooting 2 rolls of MF!

Just my honest opinion, his site, especially all the articles that talk about film, are great. I don't see why people hate him so much. If you disagree with something that he says, then don't follow it. There's no need to rave about it on the Internet..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've seen a lot of used ones on Ebay and the bright brass looking finish usually looks great. Ken Rockwell says that he doesn't know what the finish is but it holds up really well.

I like Ken but I don't agree with everything he says. His film articles are pretty good and like I said before his Tachihara article got me interested in large format. I had shot 35mm since the early 80's and had shot medium format for a while before I bought my first 4x5.

Some feel that Ken is misinforming the (digital) masses or like you said, hate his personality. Read his site and form your own opinions.

Now for some fun, google why Ken Rockwell is the Chuck Norris of photography.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin