Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,829   Posts: 1,582,167   Online: 1014

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ziyanglai

Tachihara 4x5 with lensboard for $460, fair price?

Simple question, got an offer for a Tachihara in 10/10 condition (I'm not joking, it's virtually like brand new, I couldn't find a single scratch on the camera or the tripod mount), comes with a lensboard for $460. Does it sound like a good deal?

Thanks all.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No, it's a horrible deal. They should be ashamed of themselves.
    Tell me who is selling it and I'll go give them a piece of my mind (and wallet).
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

f/64 and be there.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    And you hesitate?
    Rick A
    Argentum aevum

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    No, it's a horrible deal. They should be ashamed of themselves.
    Tell me who is selling it and I'll go give them a piece of my mind (and wallet).
    If you can't get Dr. Croubie I'll take on the onerous duty of removing this item from the market for you.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ziyanglai View Post
    Simple question, got an offer for a Tachihara in 10/10 condition (I'm not joking, it's virtually like brand new, I couldn't find a single scratch on the camera or the tripod mount), comes with a lensboard for $460. Does it sound like a good deal?

Thanks all.
    I recently sold a Tachihara on Ebay for $800.00. It was mint except for some slight wear on the tripod mount. I did sell it with a Caltar 210mm in mint- condition (rebadged Rodenstock Geronar) on a lens board. I have seen these lenses sell for $100.00 or less on Ebay lately.

So to answer your question, yes, it's a great deal!

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I would say that it depends.

The Tachihara is a good camera, and a used one is probably worth $460. The reputation for the camera has driven it's price up beyond what I think that the camera is worth. There are other japanese 4x5 cameras of a similar design (for example the Nagaoka) which can often be found for this price.

In my opinion, the pristine condition of the camera is irrelevant. If you are just going to put it on a shelf and admire it, then it is an expensive decorator item, if you are going to use it as a field camera, as it was intended to be used, it won't stay pristine for long.

ziyanglai
    Ok that's what I thought. Thanks everyone. The reason I asked is because that I shoot mostly on monorails and press cameras, and I'm unsure of the market in field cameras...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ziyanglai
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark_S View Post

In my opinion, the pristine condition of the camera is irrelevant. If you are just going to put it on a shelf and admire it, then it is an expensive decorator item, if you are going to use it as a field camera, as it was intended to be used, it won't stay pristine for long.
    I'm going to use it as a field camera, but when I'm not using it, it'll be on my shelf in the living room for people to admire

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by ziyanglai View Post
    I'm going to use it as a field camera, but when I'm not using it, it'll be on my shelf in the living room for people to admire

Be prepaired for people to admire it while you are using it too. They will be asking questions like, "Did you do the restoration on your beautiful antique camera yourself?".

ziyanglai
    Quote Originally Posted by Alan Gales View Post
    Be prepaired for people to admire it while you are using it too. They will be asking questions like, "Did you do the restoration on your beautiful antique camera yourself?".
    Haha.. Ken Rockwell(love him or hate him I don't care) says that the camera attracts too much attention and makes it hard for him to focus on creating images in his review.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin