Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,894   Posts: 1,520,899   Online: 995

jcc
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Mystery film holder

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2014-06-28 16.14.28.jpg 
Views:	73 
Size:	365.0 KB 
ID:	90339

I've never seen or read about this film holder before, but I'm sure someone in APUG'land has. I've asked a couple of old time large format photographers here in Oklahoma, but they haven't seen one of these either.

The septum (lower left) looks like it holds a 3.25x4.25" (80x105 mm) film, which goes into a holder (lower right) that has a swing arm to lock the septum in place. The ensemble goes into a folding case (upper right), and it looks like it just holds one of these at a time. The dark slide is on the upper left.

The case is similar to a Graphic 1234 film pack holder, and the septum is similar to a Graphic 1268 (just smaller). The similarity with the two aforementioned Graphic backs would make me think this is a Graflex concoction. There are no markings on the case that would indicate its manufacturer, or its intended camera.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    This is very similar in construction to a set of 6x9 film holders I have with a Zeiss Ikon camera - just bigger !

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I speculate it is a film adapter intended for use in early dry plate cameras.

jcc
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by shutterfinger View Post
    I speculate it is a film adapter intended for use in early dry plate cameras.
    It was found in a state government darkroom, with most other equipment dating around 1970's to early 1990's.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's three items, what you call the septum is a Quarter plate film adapter designed to allow film to be used in a plate holder. These were quite common in various sizes and made into the 1950's possible 1960's.

Then there's a format adapter to allow Quarter plates to be used in a larger plate holder (I'm assuming 5x4). This will also take the film adapter, film sizes are slightly smaller than their nominal size (glass plate equivalent) to allow for this.

Finally you have a single plate holder which is unusual, it does look like a film pack holder but seems too slim.

Ian

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Are single sided plate holders used in astronomy? If so then they may use sheet film in some instances.
    from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of..._observatories
    University of Oklahoma, Norman, Oklahoma
    Ten Acre Observatory, Tribbey, Oklahoma
    Mendenhall Observatory, Stillwater, Oklahoma
    Mounds Observatory, Tulsa, Oklahoma

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin