Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,199   Posts: 1,531,479   Online: 876

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JackRosa View Post
    Does anyone have experience using a Chamonix 4x5 or 8x10 that would care to share your insights/impressions with me? Thanks in advance. Particularly interested in quality/rigidity/movemnets. I know it is fairly easy to use.
    Hi Jack,
    I note you ask about both of the common sizes. My experience of this is that if you intend to use the camera for fieldwork then its portability is a crucial factor. Most 4x5 kit is relatively easy to carry and the lenses and associated kit are also lighter.
    After using a Wista 4x5 and a Deardorff 10x8 (heavy!) I decided I wanted a bigger format than 4x5 but not the weight or bulk of the 10x8.
    The Deardorff has a WP back, so I started using this format and fell in love with it.

The answer for me is a Chamonix whole plate (6.5 x 8.5).

It is beautifully made and light and I have got some great pictures with it.
    I have no difficulty working with the screw mounted front standard or the lack of stops - this is a personal decision.
    Whatever you decide, it's the weight of the associated lenses, film holders, tripod etc which tip the balance.

Good luck

Simon

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I have a Chamonix 045-N2 for about four years now.
    Pros: Lightweight and cheap.
    Cons: The standards do not click into 0. The camera is not that rigid and it is possible to move standards while adjusting dark cloth. The bellows are the biggest disappointment - they are not pleaded next to the front standard as it was mentioned before. My biggest disappointment is that the bellows are not IR safe. I never managed to use IR film in it at all, there is nothing you can do short of replacing the bellows. I even had some fogging on normal film with very long exposure time in bright sunlight when using 10stop filter.

edit: If I have known about the IR issue before buying the camera, I'd prefer ShenHao.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by JackRosa View Post
    Thank you all for your contributions to this thread thus far.

John ~ great idea re: baby jogger. I used to carry my 8x10 Ebony in a backpack but the current condition of my neck/back will not allow me to do so any longer. My experience (4x5 vs. 8x10) parallels yours . . . I can focus much more easily when I am using the 8x10! The smaller the image, the harder it has gotten for me to focus.
    Jack,

Here is one of many threads on carrying LF gear. My post is #12
    http://www.largeformatphotography.in...ghlight=jogger

There are many more threads on the subject. Go to www.largeformatphotography.info Then go to advanced search. Then search the entire posts on jogger.

Some people like other methods of carrying their gear. All have their advantages. My only suggestion is avoid small wheel as they get stuck in small cracks or bumps.

John Powers
    "If you want to be famous, you must do something more badly than anybody in the entire world." Miroslav Tichı

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thank you Simon for this insight and advice. I am going to look into it as one of my options.
    Jack Rosa

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thanks John ~ very useful information. I think the baby jogger is definitely an option for me.
    Jack Rosa

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Thank you "vyshemirsky" for providing insight on the Chamonix 4x5. I would think the 8x10 would be of similar design, just larger. I am not sure the IR issue would affect my decision, but rigidity and bellows that are 100% light-tight are, for sure, concerns and important factors in the decision.
    Jack Rosa

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

P.S. / BTW

PS/BTW ~ I want to ensure sure that nothing I have said in this thread is interpreted as me being unhappy with my 8x10 Ebony. It is an awesome camera: gorgeous, solid as a rock, built like a tank, with ample movements (front & back), and very useful asymmetrical tilt and swing. If it were not for the reasons previously stated, i would never even think about replacing this camera with anything else.
    Jack Rosa

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin