Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,024   Online: 995

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

120 film back for Tachihara 4x5

Might be a dumb question.. But I've never used 120 roll film backs with a 4x5. So basically I'm looking for a 6x7 or 6x9 or 6x12 roll film back for my Tachihara 4x5. I've seen a lot of the ones where you can slide it in under the ground glass, but how thick are those? will they fit?

I'm looking more for the ones where you can take off the 4x5 back and replace with a 6x7/6x9/6x12 ground glass and film back. Is there such a thing ever made for a Tachihara 4x5? It is a very popular camera so I would think that there are a lot of accessories made specifically for this camera but couldn't find anything like what I wanted.

Thanks all.
    zylai.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have one for my crown graphic (Graflok back) that slides in where the focusing panel normally goes, the film plane remains the same. This one isn't mine, but this is how it goes: Click image for larger version. 

Name:	p303813700.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	135.5 KB 
ID:	90613

It sounds like you're talking about a regular spring back though? The graflok is built so that the focusing panel with the GG and spring setup for film holders can snap out and other back types fit in.

Images
    The Tachihara does not have a Graflok back, therefore you cannot use a Graphic back as pictured above. Back when I had a Tachi, I had a Calumet 6x7 back and an older AAR 6x9 back. Both slide in under the ground glass just fine. The AAR backs take 620 film so are not the easiest to use. The Calumets take 120, are much easier to use. The 6x7 is fairly common, the 6x9 harder to find, the 6x12 real hard to find and may actually cost more than the camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There are insertion type roll holders that slip into a spring back like a cut film holder. Makes and models include:

Calumet/Cambo C2, C2n -- these are made by Cambo, 6x7 are more common than 6x9

Sinar -- a variety of models, most long out of production. Some multi-format, some ("Panorama") fixed format. I have a 6x12 Panorama. It is a tight fit in a 4x5 Cambo back.

Toyo -- several models. These are 48 mm thick, won't fit all spring backs

Adapt-A-Roll 620 -- these were made in three sizes, to fit 2x3, 3x4 and 4x5 cameras with spring backs. All have 2x3 (6x9 in metric) gates. I use 2x3ers in my 2x3 Graphics, have had a 3x4, and have a 4x5 for my 4x5 Cambo. They'll feed from a 120 spool but must take up on a 620 spool. The 4x5er's gate is offset from the center of the camera's gate, I marked my gg accordingly and know how much rear shift to use to center the roll holder on the unshifted front standard.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    And also the Wista that is made specially for this purpose:

Wista 6x7 Roll film back Type N for 4x5
    Mint condition like new in the box
    This is the model with the ground glass protection attached to the back.
    It is specifically designed to slide under the GG of a WIsta 45DX or Tachiara for exemple.

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...ype-n-4x5.html
    Field # ShenHao XPO45 - Monorail # Sinar F2
    Multi format P&S 4x5, 6x12, 6x9 # Chamonix Saber
    6x6 # Minolta Autocord, 6x9 # Kodak Medalist

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    So how do you focus? My ground glass doesn't have a frame like for 6x7/6x9/etc.. Do you just mark it yourself based on experience?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ziyanglai View Post
    So how do you focus? My ground glass doesn't have a frame like for 6x7/6x9/etc.. Do you just mark it yourself based on experience?
    Easiest wy to mark it out is to get the back with darkslide in, put a piece of paper over the opening and mark out the edges of the hole. Trim the paper to that size (maybe do a bit of fine tuning until it fits exactly in the opening in the back).
    Find the centre of the piece of paper by drawing diagonal lines from corner to corner.
    Line it up with the centre of your GG if it's marked, or try to find the centre by again drawing lines (in pencil so they rub off).
    Then just match centre-to-centre and mark the corners of the paper onto the GG in a marker of your chosing (fine felt-tips work good).
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    One problem with slide-in backs in that they can be bulky and heavy. Not all cameras will take them, and sometimes they tend to tug on the back of lightwt cameras like the Tachi and disturb focus. You might look at the Graflok back option instead, where you temporarily remove the 4x5 GG back and place the roll film holder in place. Typical models exist under Horseman and Wista brands. But if you take this route, make sure you buy a buck intended for 4x5 and not scaled-down 2x3 technical cameras to begin with. Gotta be careful of quality in these things.
    Not all roll film back were created equal. There are different ways to mark your film position. A basic fine-point Sharpie pen and a ruler can be
    used to mark the format, and can be easily wiped off with solvent later if desired.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin