Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,550   Posts: 1,544,833   Online: 1052

View Poll Results: Would you buy dry-plates?

Voters
93. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, definitely.

21 22.58%
  • No, probably not.

22 23.66%
  • Maybe, I'd definitely try a box.

50 53.76%
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Of cause it also depends on the price. New glass-plates of APX100 are available, but they are extremely expensive:

http://www.macodirect.de/glasplates-...age=en&sort=3a

At a price of more that €10 for a single plate it is definitely just a try.

By the way this means that Agfa Belgium is still able to do dry plates and APX 100.

Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If they can look like finished wet plates, they are an object to behold and worth a little extra. In the right light a wetplate negative looks like a positive, etc... Skin tones shine with real silver on the glass, part reflective, part backlit. Looking at scans of glass plates on the interwebs does not do the medium justice.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I vote no as while the plates would definitely be cool, equally important would be finding a plate holder that matches my ground glass (in terms of focus) and that the holder itself would be in good condition. No one is going to make new plate holders and I'm tired of chasing down and buying used beat up junk. So no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I already have a few boxes of Dry plates and I'm due to collect a large quantity at some stage in the next few weeks. I have plate holders in quite a few sizes (and cameras that use them).

I would coat my own emulsion if needed cost is a major factor, I have commercial experience of emulsion manufacture and coating and have seen Ilford's commercial plate coating line in action like many others on factory visit.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I voted maybe as I think I have a plate holder for my great-grandfather's camera. I just have to get the camera to work. I really don't see myself using plates a lot, though. My time for shooting just never seems to align with the right light for shooting.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by konakoa View Post
    I vote no as while the plates would definitely be cool, equally important would be finding a plate holder that matches my ground glass (in terms of focus) and that the holder itself would be in good condition. No one is going to make new plate holders and I'm tired of chasing down and buying used beat up junk. So no.
    People make new plate holder conversions for wet plate. lundphotographics.com for example.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by konakoa View Post
    There's no problem finding plate holders in good condition that fit modern cameras (with correct plane of focus), I've bought many in the past couple of years and never pay more than £2/just over $3 for each DDS.

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by holmburgers View Post
    Vote then please.

And how about a constructive comment as to WHY?
    "No, probably not" isn't strongly negative enough.

Why not? Glass plates don't appeal. I don't have to have a reason.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi Chris,

Yes, I could see myself as a modest regular user of reliably available glass plates. Glass plates do appeal. And the reason is the enjoyment I would derive from using them.

Where I live slow plates could realistically only be used during the handful of weeks we call summer, really just a short break between the endless rainstorms. So my usage pattern might be skewed accordingly. But I already have 5x7 and 8x10 antique plate holders, could make more out of surplus 8x10 film holders (like the wet plate guys do), and I even have several glass plate negative carriers for my Omega enlarger, including a 4x5 guy.

When you say slow, what are we talking? Are you thinking of hand-coating? Or maybe having lucky access to something like these, mentioned in a much earlier APUG thread?

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Large Format
    For me it would definitely depend on price, I have several plate holders in both5x7and whole plate that I have wanted to try.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin