Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,850   Posts: 1,582,856   Online: 758

View Poll Results: Would you buy dry-plates?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, definitely.

24 23.30%
  • No, probably not.

24 23.30%
  • Maybe, I'd definitely try a box.

55 53.40%
Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Oh I'd give a box of them in 4x5 if they were available, always up to try something new in the Photographic world.
    Canadian Correspondent for the Film Photography Podcast
    A bi-monthly podcast for people who love to shoot film!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Yes! 6x4.5, 6.5x9, 9x12, or 4x5 or 2.25x3.25!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Definitely let me know about any Kickstarter plans!!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Any news on progress for us yet?

RR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hey all,

I just posted this thread... http://www.apug.org/forums/forum44/1...ml#post1682167

It has occurred to me that I need to bolster my knowledge of plate formats. Any help would be much appreciated!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Chris,

If I might offer a suggestion? Go to ebay and search 'glass negatives'. There are always a gazillion for sale in all sizes. Most often for a song if the image isn't significant. The plates themselves are far more informative than a table of sizes (although those are useful also.) Thickness of glass comes into play as well as height and width. The smaller formats were often quite thin glass, which can be expensive today. You would need to clearly advertise the thickness as well as the dimensions of your plates for those customers who have vintage holders.

You could also start a collection of holders. Those aren't as easy to come by and are generally more expensive, but the prices come down for holders in tough shape. Those would work fine for your needs.

Enthusiastic best wishes,
    d
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Film, and Dry Plates.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by pgomena View Post
    Definitely no. I have no desire to use dry or wet plates. I just want to make a good picture, and I don't need any more rabbit holes to run down. Film is a proven technology manufactured to highest tolerances and quality levels, and it's still affordable. I think that's a great place to start if I'm making a picture. Color-blind or orthochromatic emulsions don't fit into anything I do or want to do.
    A big plus one, I already see *far* too many super boring LF photos so why add to the complexity of the process if the complexity of the composition is no where in sight?

I'll stick to film, it suits my working style and vision better...

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by PKM-25 View Post
    A big plus one, I already see *far* too many super boring LF photos so why add to the complexity of the process if the complexity of the composition is no where in sight?

I'll stick to film, it suits my working style and vision better...
    There is no added complexity at all. The negatives are processed in the same way. The availability of dry plates would make a lot of plate holders useful once again. That would certainly please me...

LF = no more and no less a proportional population of super boring photographs than any other format.

RR

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Regular Rod View Post
    Any news on progress for us yet?

RR
    BUMP???

RR

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    A few comments on "progress"...

For the first time in over a year, I'll have access to a darkroom again soon; I'm getting involved with Rochester's Community Darkroom and trading volunteer hours for darkroom time. Wahoo!

In preparation, I'm currently acquiring the necessary kit for emulsion making, coating, testing & small-scale production. This includes chemistry, labware, various apparatus and raw materials like glass, matboard, wood; you name it.

Once good emulsion starts flowing I'll be putting plates in the hands of a select group of beta testers in order to hone the fully fleshed out product. When the time is right, I'll be campaigning hard for a bit of money to get something more substantial started.

No telling exactly how long all this will take, but it's in motion!

More to come; thanks for asking Rod
    Last edited by holmburgers; 10-25-2014 at 10:08 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin