Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 73,996   Posts: 1,633,328   Online: 1189

View Poll Results: Would you buy dry-plates?

Voters
103. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, definitely.

24 23.30%
  • No, probably not.

24 23.30%
  • Maybe, I'd definitely try a box.

55 53.40%
Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Poll: Would you buy dry-plates?

If somebody manufactured gelatin dry-plates in the most common large format sizes, would you realistically buy/use them?

I'm talking about a slow, color-blind, black & white emulsion on glass.

Bearing in mind that you may have to find/fashion a glass plate holder and become accustomed to shooting with a material that is quite different than panchromatic (or even orthochromatic) stock.

Assume for the moment that this product will be well made, reliable, expertly packaged & shipped, easy to purchase, and capable of producing very beautiful photographs.

Yay or nay?
    If you are the big tree, we are the small axe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Absolutely not.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Vote then please.

And how about a constructive comment as to WHY?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Voted for I'd definitely try a box.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    i'd try a box ... for sure!
    i love shooting glass plates!
    should we start calling your george, chris ?

- john

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just finished off a box of 6.5x9cm plates I lucked into on the auction site. Certainly very unique look to them. Of course I managed to ruin almost all of them by developing too long or using warm water to wash them post development but one or two worked out

They'd likely have to be CHEAP though, I don't know how sustainable it would be for you. Any more expensive than a couple of euros per plate and I'd be shading toward making my own

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nice to see you back on APUG!

I voted "no" primarily because a blue-sensitive emulsion would be virtually impossible for me to work with under most of my shooting circumstances. As you noted they'd also require different/modified holders. If they were high quality, I'm guessing they'd also be beyond my budget other than perhaps for occasional use.

I'd likely try a box because I've always liked the idea of plates vs a flexible base (not to mention they're just plain cool), but that's about it.

On the other hand, just thinking out loud, slow, fine grained, blue-sensitive plates could be great for making certain types of masks for negatives if they had the same quality of coating as films, but I'm not sure that's possible.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I've shot a few old-stock plates with sometimes-good results, but I think blue sensitivity would limit my interest as compared to even an ortho emulsion. I'd experiment with them, but I doubt I'd make regular use of a blue-only emulsion on any substrate.

-NT
    Nathan Tenny
    San Diego, CA, USA

The lady of the house has to be a pretty swell sort of person to put up with the annoyance of a photographer.
    -The Little Technical Library, _Developing, Printing, And Enlarging_

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Nate,
    That's excellent feedback for Chris. He could make ortho just as easily as colorblind. The attraction of offering strictly colorblind is that it can't be bought commercially. Colorblind on glass can make some truly unique and beautiful images. The state of the craft has come a long way since you visited my studio (how many?) years ago now
    2 cents,
    d
    www.thelightfarm.com
    Dedicated to Handmade Silver Gelatin Paper, Film, and Dry Plates.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I think the appeal would be something that is historically accurate in terms of color sensitivity. Not only could be it used for art, but for living history demonstrations/re-enactments, art history, etc. .We've got the old lenses, old cameras, old clothes, everything but the plates.

Page 1 of 8 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin